II; yellow-eyes

| YEAR 2; CHAPTER SIX |
YELLOW-EYES

     HE FINALLY FINISHED HIS CRAMMING. Subsequently, that also meant that his time in the library had greatly diminished. Though, now he was reading more on transfiguration history and experiments while also attempting to keep his word on figuring out the identity of Slytherin's monster. So, he was still spending an ungodly amount of time in the library either way.

There was also one more thing he had planned for when he finished; to look at his heritage. Maybe he had family left somewhere. As he sat on the dim-lit table, he tried to read two books at once. An old tome of transfiguration was left open on his lap, along with a few scattered papers on the desk, and in his hands lay a creature's care and informational text. 

He continued to skim past the pages, the same word escaping his lips as he slides his fingers along the individual paragraphs. His eyes continued to fly past the individual words in complete concentration. 

"Spiders.... spider... spider." It was more of a chant than anything. 

The surrounding students are glancing at him now and then with a mix of concern and curiosity. Edwyn found that he didn't mind all too much, his work was far more important than the small-minded thoughts of his fellow students.

Too busy drowning himself on the page, he never noticed a familiar boy sitting directly next to him. "If you keep talking about spiders, you might just turn into one yourself."

 Edwyn darted his eyes towards the familiar voice. Both in surprise and recognition.  "Ced?"

The boy smiled, "The one and only. What's with the spiders, anyway?"

There was a sudden war in his head, as he tried to calculate his next words. Should he tell Cedric? Lie? Omit? — No, he won't take advantage of Cedric's trust. Then what could he say? 'Oh, I'm just looking for some highly-dangerous-probably-venomous snake. No, nothing nefarious going on here.'

"Uh, I'm looking for a snake. It wards away spiders." He replied, he really hoped Cedric didn't push the topic.

He watched as the boy's eyes widened and his eyebrows raise above his short bangs. A hint of worry pooled beneath the boy's grey eyes. "This doesn't have to do with the Chamber, does it..?"

A pit grew in his stomach, as he formulated a reply in his head. However, all that came out was,  "I... Maybe?"

"I'll help." 

The tone he used was non-negotiable, and Edwyn just knew that no amount of excuses or persuading would deter the boy from his decision. Sighing, he handed a book from the pile over to the boy, moving his things over to give Cedric room on the table.

"I was speaking with Harry earlier, and we can both hear it. So all I've got so far is that it's a snake, petrifies people, scares away spiders, and apparently, has yellow eyes."

Cedric nodded, "Alright, I'll keep a lookout for petrifying, yellow-eyed reptiles, and you can look for the spiders."

They must have sat there for an hour before Cedric asked, "Isn't your guardian the Newt Scamander? Why don't you just ask him? He's sure to know." The question wasn't condescending or mocking; just curious.

Edwyn shook his head, "It takes Mr Scamander ages just to answer a letter... I'd have to wait at least a week and a half to get a response and I don't have that much time to spare."

His companion nodded, "Oh well, was worth a shot. We'll just have to keep hitting the books until we find our answer."

A bout of astoundment blossomed in Edwyn. They've been researching nonstop for the past hour, and yet Cedric continued to stay with him. Steeling his resolve he stared at the pages with renewed vigour. "Right." He said, "Let's do this."