I; the sorting

| YEAR 1; CHAPTER THREE |
THE SORTING

     HIS TRUNK WAS LARGE AND HEAVY. When he stepped through the passage, into a brilliant pool of light, there were countless witches and wizards wishing their children a last-minute goodbye before they boarded the train. Edwyn had followed a group of redheads, which he assumed was a rather large family. After placing his trunk where they had placed their own, he boarded the train and tried his best to ignore the overwhelming crowd of unruly children and excited current students. Eventually entering an empty compartment, prepared to read a book on beginner's spells in transfiguration. It was odd, now that he reflected upon it; thinking of himself as a wizard. Not long ago, he was just a nameless, faceless boy from a nameless, faceless orphanage. Now, he was a wizard with the wand to prove it. Ebony, Olivander had told him, with a phoenix feather core. Though it didn't take him long to forget the measurements of the wand. The man had certainly been... eccentric, though. He certainly wasn't about to forget that.

Brought out of his mullings, the door to the compartment opened and a small group of children, entered the compartment—They all seemed to be around his age, and Edwyn hoped they were since Mr Scamander had urged him to make some friends during his train ride. The boy in the front seemed to be the leader of the small group, his hair was a bright blonde and slicked back and he carried himself in a proud, but elegant manner. Posh, was the only thing Edwyn could think of when he first laid eyes on him.

He studied Edwyn for a moment before saying, "You mind if we sit here?"

Edwyn gestured to the empty seats in acceptance, though his attention went back to the book on his lap once they had all sat down, not paying him any mind. Though, the other boy walked over to him cautiously. Arm held out in front of him, "I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

It was a rather odd introduction, but Edwyn chalked it up to wizard culture. Though he couldn't help but question the boy's name, was that also another thing common to the wizarding world. If he remembered correctly, Draco was the name of a constellation. Why he knew that, he had no clue. He must've read it in a book somewhere, he supposed

Though, he only then realized that he was still staring, and quickly reached out with his arm to shake the other boy's hand. Following the boy's example, he said, "Edwyn Belmonte." Unsure if there was anything else needed from this introductory ritual, he quickly brought his hand back down and watched warily as the boy took a seat beside him.

Malfoy introduced him to the rest of his group. The girl who sat on the opposite seat stared at him coldly. Her hair draped slightly over her face, her expression strained as she peered at him with narrowed eyes. "That's Pansy Parkinson," he pointed. The boy next to her was slightly taller than her with dark skin and slanted eyes. His gaze wasn't as cold, more questioning than anything else. "Blaise Zabini."

Edwyn waved awkwardly, "Nice to meet you all." It was a lame response, he thought to himself, as his lips pursed into a thin line.

He wondered if they were regretting choosing this compartment now, it would certainly make sense, he felt like he was only making things more awkward just by sitting here. 

"Belmonte?" Malfoy looked at him curiously. "As in the old Belmonte's? I thought that tree ended a while ago."

Realizing he was only staring, Edwyn returned to his book. Repeating what he recalled Mr Scamander telling him not too long ago. "I'm the only one left..."

Not the man's words exactly, of course, but the nerves of meeting new people were bringing his mind all over the place.

"Oh, sorry about that..."

Deciding that he was unlikely to get any reading done while speaking, Edwyn closed his book. Looking back at Malfoy carefully. "It's fine. It's not like I knew them..." Changing the subject, he asked, "Any classes you're looking forward to?"