II; breakthroughs

| YEAR 2; CHAPTER FIVE |
BREAKTHROUGHS

     COULD HE SAY HE HATED EXAMS? Because he did. The library might as well be a second home for him since he's spent all his time rereading this year's material for the past consecutive three weeks. Terry had visited him on the occasion to ask a few questions, but other than that he's been working alone.

Normally, Edwyn wouldn't bother all too much on his work. Yet, this year, it was crucial. He barely listened to a word his teachers have spoken this year, and now he's sure that he's completely behind in his workAll because he was too busy studying the things that actually interested him. It wasn't his fault that the teachers never delved more into the theory of things. It was as if they expected everyone to believe their words as law; and funnily enough, it worked.

Blaise and Draco continue to send glances his way in the library, and Cedric continued to try his damn hardest to drag Edwyn out of the library whenever he got the chance. And Harry... Well, Harry was still avoiding him. The thought left Edwyn conflicted. On one hand, he wanted to be angry. To scream and curse at himself for getting too close to the other boy. And, on the other, he felt... like he was just being tricked this entire time. It made sense; Why would Harry Potter, Gryffindor's Golden Boy, want to be friends with him. Nothing was interesting about Edwyn, and he certainly wasn't talented. Plus, he was a Slytherin, bane to all Gryffindors and most of the other houses.

Hermione was unable to join him anymore, either. She was petrified, and the thought was more than a little disturbing.

It's Transfiguration class now, and Edwyn was still not listening. Only looking out the window and into the Forbidden Forest. As if something intriguing might jump out if he looked long enough. Edwyn idly wondered if brooding would be a more fitting term for his state. It wasn't until the class ended, and lunchtime had begun. He continued to stare out the window, not feeling in the mood to rush out of the class.

McGonagall seemed to notice his lack of usual interest and asked him to speak to him later. Now he was sitting around wondering if it would be better to walk away from the inevitable conversation or sit through a gruelling few minutes.

A hand pulled him violently from his thoughts, and Edwyn found himself recoiling from the touch.

Looking up, he saw none other than Harry Potter looking down at him. A concerned expression plastered on that face. "Edwyn... I just wanted to say I'm sorry," Harry tells him.

Anger began to bubble, and Edwyn quickly looked away. Knowing exactly what Harry was apologizing for. He didn't voice his thoughts, or where they were headed.

"Why didn't you just ask me?" He pressed, looking out to the forest. A scowl forming. Harry reached a hand out to Edwyn, before retracting it. "We, uh, we wanted to get the answer from Malfoy."

Edwyn sighed, "Just... I feel like an idiot. I thought we were friends or at least close."

He looked at Harry, trying to understand why. Once again, he felt ignored. Just a forgettable stain on the grass. Was he really so stupid to think that a change of scenery would change everything? That for once, he could be normal.

Harry's face was pinched together. "I'm being rude, sorry." Edwyn eventually said, "You just lost Hermione, and here I am complaining about not being told about a stupid plan."

The words felt bland on his tongue and Edwyn looked back at the forest. 

"No," Harry said, and Edwyn stared back at the boy, confused. "You shouldn't be the one apologizing, I should. You're right. We're supposed to be friends, and I completely went behind your back. I'm sorry."