III; pushing forward

| YEAR 3; CHAPTER SIX |PUSHING FORWARD

PUSHING FORWARD

     IT WAS ODD HOW HE ALWAYS REMAINED CALM IN LUNA'S PRESENCE. As if her very existence seemed to put a dampener on his worries. 

He didn't particularly want to look away from the windows. The vast amount of trees stretched on for miles onward, and Edwyn found himself content with simply staring through the glass along with Luna. Though, he snapped himself out of it after a minute as he turned towards her. A grim expression fell over his face as everything that happened in the past month and a half overcame his thoughts once more. He opened his mouth to say something before closing it again. Instead, he paused, and after a few more moments passed, Luna spoke.

"Is it the Nargles again?"

Edwyn chuckled for a moment, before replying. "Probably." He paused for a moment, wondering if he should voice his thoughts. Then he realised that this was Luna. If there was anyone he could talk to about these things, it was her. "Do you ever wonder if you're as good a person as you think you are?"

There was a long pause, and she turned to him. Her steel-grey eyes reflected the afternoon sky and stared at him with such an intensity that anyone else might consider it to be a glare. He found that he didn't mind all that much. Luna may be a little off, but so was he. He found her... quaint. 

He was fairly certain by now that the Ravenclaw girl didn't have a malicious bone in her body. Though, perhaps it was only now, with her long stare that seemed to look through his very soul — a goddess deeming if he was worthy of her divine judgement — that he was beginning to realise that he had never held her complete and utter attention at any point before now. It was an odd sort of silence that befell the empty corridor, and he could hear the outside ambience closer if he paid more attention. She appraised him with an odd, but unscornful, gaze and he returned it in full with a levelling stare of his own. For a moment, he considered what would happen if he were to break the silence, move forward and—

He stopped himself. Pulling himself out of his thoughts right in time to hear her voice. The brief thought crossed his mind that maybe she knew what he was thinking. She always seemed to know when something was on his mind. More often than not, she already knew what it was. He would find it odd if it were any other person besides Luna, but it was not. He came to the conclusion that for her, he would move a thousand suns and more. For what stood in front of him was no mortal, but an angel, watching him with a sound expression. The only spot where the festering darkness in his mind did not dare to invade. An unsoiled, white dot of divine light within this sea of perfidy and despair. 

"Sometimes," her voice chimed, "When we fight for so long, we forget the reason why we're fighting in the first place."

Edwyn looked down, he didn't want to face her scorn. "I've... I've done a terrible thing," he admitted softly. "It had to be necessary, because if it wasn't, I don't know what I'll do. I guess I just feel stuck."