Chapter Ten

CW: mentions of homophobia and death

♡━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━♡

Robyn was thoughtful as she walked with her Head of House to the Great Hall. Firstly, she didn't think she would like him. He was clearly a half-breed. And she had been taught that half-breeds were disgusting freaks of nature. But he was nice, and funny, and she found herself liking him. And don't get her started on Dumbledore! Not that he was a half-breed, but she had always heard that he was the single greatest enemy to the traditional families, the proper families, her family. He was a good-for-nothing blood traitor who promoted things like, Merlin forbid, equality. Yuck. But! She liked him! He was weird and wonderful. She almost forgot about the whole did-he-or-did-he-not-fix-the-hat-to-put-her-in-not-Slytherin dilemma.

Her thoughts were interrupted as she and Professor Flitwick arrived at the Great Hall entrance. She looked to him as he spoke. "Enjoy your breakfast, Miss Rosier. I look forward to seeing you third period!" She thanked him as he left.

'Well, suppose I have Charms third period, then,' she thought as she walked towards the table furthest to the left; the Slytherin table. The Great Hall in general wasn't terribly busy right now as breakfast had only just started, but she could make out Astoria sitting at the far end across from Flora and Hestia. On her way towards them she tapped Dylan's shoulder lightly and told her they needed to talk and to bring Lloyd, too, who was probably still asleep right now.

She was hurrying towards Astoria now, who turned suddenly and made eye contact with her. Robyn dove into the seat next to her best friend and hugged her immediately. They hugged for a few moments then pulled away. "Hi, Twins," she said distractedly then turned to Astoria once more. "Tori, I'm so sorry. I tried but it just wouldn't put me in Slytherin!" She decided not to give away any details, like the weird things the hat had said to her.

"I know," Astoria replied sadly, "I understand. It's just...rubbish! We won't get to have sleepovers every night, or have all our classes together!" the girl sniffed.

"We'll-we'll have some classes together, though!" Astoria was usually the optimistic one, she wasn't used to this, trying to be all positive.

Astoria and the twins were telling her about the Slytherin common room and how they had waved to the merpeople, when suddenly someone plopped into the seat next to her; it was Pansy. Daphne appeared in front of her with Millicent and the other girl, Tracey something.

"Well hello there, you little raven," Pansy commented. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this is your table, is it?"

"Oh, shut it, Pans," Daphne defended, as usual.

"Yeah, shut it, Pans!" Astoria copied Daphne, as usual.

"I'm only joking! Not everyone is good enough for Slytherin, I get it! Perfectly understandable. Though, I am going to require an explanation, Little Robby."

Robyn slapped a hand to her forehead and groaned, "If it's perfectly understandable, why do I need to explain? Also, I'm an eagle, not a raven."

"Humour me," Pansy said flatly. Robyn really hoped the Slytherin boys weren't going to show up anytime soon. Especially not Draco.

All the girls were staring at her now, waiting silently.

"All right, fine. The hat put me in Ravenclaw," she said, knowing she was being deliberately difficult.

"Why, I had no idea!" Pansy retorted. "Did you, Millie?"

"Not a clue!"

"Ugh, Millie. You're supposed to be the nice one," Robyn groaned again.