Chapter Thirty-Three

♡━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━♡

17th of December 1993

"I'm really sorry for postponing. Sorry," Granger said sheepishly as she took a seat beside Robyn at their usual hidden table. She was looking rather disorderly, which was unusual.

Robyn waved her off, uncaring, "Not to worry—"

"I just had so much to do, and I swear half of it was due on Tuesday, so I needed Monday—"

"Granger," Robyn interrupted. "You don't need to explain. I get it."

Granger frowned, fiddling with the chain around her neck anxiously, "Still, I'm sure this isn't how you want to spend your Friday night. Sorry."

"Well, maybe we should do something else?" Robyn suggested casually, not really expecting Granger to take her up on it.

But she did. "Okay."

"Oh...really?" she almost laughed. Granger, wanting to do something other than work? Wow.

The girl nodded repeatedly, "Yes. What do you want to do?"

"I don't know, what do you want to do?"

Robyn scoffed, "How old are you? Five?"

"Older than you!"

"Well, that explains the wrinkles," Robyn joked. Granger stared at her with narrowed eyes. Robyn honestly couldn't help but notice how pretty the girl looked under the dim light being shed on her from the nearby lanterns. Her dark eyes looked very...warm. She almost missed Granger's reply.

"Har-har. You're really funny." Robyn definitely felt like they'd had this conversation before. Before she could say anything, Granger spoke up again, almost hesitantly, "Maybe we could just...talk?"

"We're already talking," Robyn laughed lightly.

"Whatever," Granger rolled her eyes, then continued, "are you staying for Christmas again?"

"No, I'm allowed home for Yule this time. Were you here last year?" she frowned, not remembering.

"Er, yes. That's why I said 'again'. Because I know you were here last year, too. Only because I saw you at Christmas lunch! That's all..." Granger said it all quickly then looked around awkwardly.

"Okay?" Robyn was confused at the girl's behaviour but didn't care enough to question it. "Are you going home?"

"Oh, no. I'm staying," Granger informed her. She hesitated, then pulled something from her bag on the floor and slid it to Robyn. It was a bookmark. Robyn held it up to examine it carefully. It read:

She rules her life like a bird in flight

The writing was a shade of bronze, while the sky behind it was a lovely blue colour. Ravenclaw colours, she figured. And, to continue the Ravenclaw theme, there was a beautiful eagle with its wings spread, flying over what looked like the Black Lake, with the picturesque valley in the background.

"This is kind of a Christmas present, but also to thank you for helping me with Buckbeak," Granger said quietly. Robyn blinked, stunned. "Do- do you like it?" she asked nervously.

Robyn gathered her bearings before finally saying, "It's really pretty. Like...wow. Did you draw it?"

Granger let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, no. Well, I came up with the concept, but my friend Dean executed it. He's really good at drawing...evidently. I had to do his Potions essay as payment," she laughed.