Chapter 20: Obstáculos

Sam was doing karate in the Miyagi-Do dojo until she takes a break to get a drink. She drops her water bottle in shock when she realizes that Tory was at the back door. After Tory taunts her and smirks evilly, they get into a fight. It ends with Tory putting Sam's face in the pond, essentially drowning her to death. Sam wakes up in shock until she realizes it's just a dream.

Later that morning...

With the rivalry between Miyagi-Do and Cobra Kai intensifying by the day and the obvious fact that Kreese isn't going anywhere, Daniel and Amanda call Sam to have a meeting with them. Amanda apologizes for reprimanding her about the laser tag fight and that she had no idea how bad Cobra Kai was or what she was dealing with. Daniel tells her that he wants to make sure Sam knows how to defend herself. Sam asks what they mean and Amanda tells her that Daniel's going to reopen Miyagi-Do and that she and your parents were "100% on board." Daniel asks if Sam is ready to get back into action and Sam surprises them by saying no. She gets up and walks away but, Daniel catches up to her. He asks her what's going on with her and Sam replies by saying she's not doing karate anymore and leaves, clearly getting emotional. In confusion, Daniel asks his wife what's going on and Amanda explains that she believes Sam has not been sleeping well and that she rarely goes out anymore. Daniel admits that he's spent so much time taking care of other things in his life that he hasn't spend enough time with Sam. Amanda suggests taking her out of school for the day so the two can hang out and Daniel nods in agreement.

At West Valley High...

You were walking down the hallway to go to your first period. You turn the corner when you see Miguel talking to Demetri, who was now in a cast.

Miguel Diaz: "What's up with the cast?" He asks, pointing at Demetri's arm.

Demetri: "Oh. This?" He says lifting his arm slightly. "Proximal radius fracture."

Yasmine: "It smells." Yasmin butts into their conversation, looking Demetri up and down.

Demetri: "I put a lemon rind down there to mitigate that. The invitation for you to sign it still stands." He takes a red sharpie out of his pocket and extends it towards her.

Yasmine: "Hard pass." She pushes it back at him with the very tip of her finger. "At least when you used to be a thorn in my side you were getting me A's in science. Now you can't even do that because you're... defective." She pushs between Demetri and Miguel and stalks off. You roll your eyes and facepalm at you and Demetri's misfortune of a science partner.

Miguel Diaz: "So, uh... how'd you break your arm?" Demetri seems to get just as uncomfortable as you. "We've... got a lot to catch up on." Miguel and Demetri continue walking down the corridor as you go into your Comprehensive Health classroom.

Meanwhile...

As a bonding exercise, Daniel takes Sam fishing. They reminisce about the last time they went to the lake and it was with you and Mr. Miyagi. They had caught a fish that was so big, Amanda was afraid to cook it for dinner. Daniel replies by saying he's "pretty sure we ordered a pizza". He then brings up that on the same day, he taught you and Sam how to balance on the boat. While Sam was naturally balanced back then, you struggled and fell multiple times. Sam giggles, remembering that you were practically soaked before you finally found balance. Despite this, Sam's wary about Daniel trying to secretly trick her into doing anything karate-related. Daniel pushes her to be honest with him and she emotionally confesses to freezing up and being unable to help Demetri or her friends. Sam's having panic attacks and she doesn't know if she'll ever be able to defend herself again. Daniel apologizes to Sam for her predicament.