Chapter 27: First Learn Stand

Monday morning, in the suburbs of Encino, CA...

Medieval video game music plays as a knight avatar is building up some of a small castle. The game is Dungeon Lord Legacies. Suddenly, an alarm vibrates from a smartphone.

A 14-year-old, African-American kid picks up his phone and taps on the notification. 

His name is Kenny.

He starts getting ready to go to his new middle school for the first time

He starts getting ready to go to his new middle school for the first time. After brushing his teeth, changing, and getting some Rice Krispy treats, he sees a heartfelt note from his mom.

Note: Good luck on your first day, make lots of friends! AND DON'T MISS THE BUS! ❤️ Mom

Kenny smiles, feeling that his new school's going to be great!

On his way to the bus stop, he has a little jump in his step. While waiting, he does a weird happy dance to his music, unaware of his surroundings.

Unfortunately, he doesn't notice the school bus pulling up behind him until it...

HONK!

He nearly leaps in fright, dropping his snack. Turning around, he sees the other middle schoolers laughing at him through the windows. As he goes into the bus in embarrassment, a group of students nearby decide to mock him even more.

A light-orange-haired kid says something first.

Zack: "Nice moves, new kid. What do you call that? The loser limbo?"

More laughter ensues as Kenny wallows in shame.

The group's ring leader was none other than Anthony Larusso, Sam's younger brother, who thanks to puberty was a lot taller and thinner than before. 

He just so happened to go to West Valley Middle as well

Anthony: "No, no, no, no. I think it's called the I'm-trying-not-to-shart-my-pants dance."

The students laugh even more at Kenny's expense.

???: "Good one, LaRusso!"

The laughter continues as the bus starts moving again.