Chapter 32: Minefields

You loosen up a little bit as Silver gets comfortable in the corner of In-N-Out.

Silver: *leaning back* Oh, I know a lot about you, YN. Your potential, your struggles. I can offer you something much greater than Miyagi-Do ever could.

You glance at Tory, seeking answers. She remains silent, her expression filled with anticipation.

Y/N: *skeptically* And what could you possibly offer me?

Silver: Power, Y/N. The power to become stronger than ever before. To fight back against your enemies, to claim what's rightfully yours.

Your eyes narrow, a mixture of apprehension and curiosity swimming within them. The allure of power begins to tempt him.

Y/N: The only "enemies" I have are in your dojo... or at least they used to be.

Tory: Y/N, listen to me. Sensei Silver's got a lot to teach. He's been through it all, and he can help you find your true potential--

Y/N: Which would lead me down a path against the teachings of the greatest man I knew, Mr. Miyagi.

Tory: We're not saying there's anything wrong with Miyagi-Do. But sometimes, you need to explore other options to truly grow.

Silver: I foolishly thought Mr. Miyagi's methods were ineffective in combat. But then Daniel used it to defeat one of the strongest students I had. The thing is, Y/N, Miyagi-Do and Cobra Kai may seem like Ying and Yang. But in reality, they are on the same spectrum. With my training, you could unlock a higher level of offense that would complement your strong defensive abilities. You can't just take a beating forever, you know?

Your mind races with conflicting thoughts as you look between Silver and Tory.

Sure, the two styles are different but what if they could work together? But could they actually do so? No... Cobra Kai's too aggressive. Miyagi-Do is superior in every way. Or is it?

Y/N: Look Mr. Silver, I've learned so much at Miyagi-Do, and Sensei Daniel has always been there for me. I know there's more to learn. And perhaps I do need to see things from a different perspective--

Silver: Precisely, Y/N! It's only through adversity that we truly grow. Let me guide you.

You take a deep breath before replying.

Y/N: But right now is the worst possible time to change sides. I'm already dealing with a lot right now. Going to Cobra Kai right now would make a lot of things way worse. I'm sorry, but I have to go.

You get up and leave the two behind before opening the exit door.

There is more to learn in karate, but Cobra Kai is not the way...

A few days later...

At West Valley Middle, Anthony bumps into Lia and helps pick up her books before talking to her about how they haven't hung out much. She tells him that they can do something as friends some time and mentions how she's going out with Kenny and some other people later. Anthony goes back to his friends where he watches her talk to Kenny. Later on, he is changing from P.E. where he sees Kenny's Cobra Kai hoodie on the bench and decides to steal it. Kenny sees him and chases him out of the locker room but when he runs out in his underwear, everyone looks at him and laughs.

In the afternoon, Daniel finds Kenny's Cobra Kai hoodie in his home and confronts his son about why he has it. Anthony comes up with the lie that a Cobra Kai student is bullying him. Daniel sympathizes with him about what it's like to be bullied (when in reality, Anthony is the bully). Daniel tells him that he is ready for karate training now and that he needs to get ready.