Chapter 29: Two Minds Are Better Than One

At West Valley High...

Mr. Palmer, the principal, is leading a group of 8th graders on a tour of the campus.

 Palmer, the principal, is leading a group of 8th graders on a tour of the campus

Mr. Palmer: "As you can see, the West Valley High campus is a lot larger than the middle school, and when you become a freshman next year, y-you'll have access to some amazing facilities. Our science lab is state of the art." He pauses as recent events come back to him. "Well, at least it was."

8th Grade Girl: "Did it get destroyed in the fight?"

Mr. Palmer: "Uh, no. Uh, the district required us to remove anything that could potentially be used as a weapon in the event of another karate incident. Okay, let's, uh... Okay, so, this way's the cafeteria. There actually was a fight there, so it got ruined, but..."

As Mr. Palmer leads the rest of the group away, Lia and Kenny lag behind.

Lia: "Hey, new kid. What do you think?" She asks.

Kenny, looking downtrodden for a moment, answers in surprise.

Kenny: "Me? What? The high school?"

Lia: "I heard it's haunted. Do you think that's true?"

Kenny: "Oh! Oh, definitely, yeah, yeah. Uh, actually, I died five years ago."

Lia: "Well, ghost boy, you got strawberry on your snake shirt." She chuckles as he looks down at the stain.

Kenny: "You've been letting me walk around like this?"

Lia: "At first I thought it was part of the evil-looking design. Then I realized you're just a slob." She smiles, showing she was just playing. "Don't worry though. Nobody else can see you, right?" She walks away as Kenny sighs.

Later in the bathroom...

Kenny frowns as he looks in the mirror while cleaning the stain. Just then, Bert and Nate enter while discussing something...

Nate: "Yeah. I'm telling you, we had a moment."

Bert: "Nonsense! No way is Lexi DiMarco going out with you. She's a junior."

Kenny ignores them and observes himself once more.

Nate: "I know. She's a total--"

Bert: "Whoa!" He recognizes Kenny which catches his attention. "Looks like someone's a little lost."

Nate: *threateningly* "Yeah. What makes you think you can wear a shirt like that here?"  

Kenny: "It... It's from my dojo."

Bert: "Maybe they started a kindergarten class?" He laughs.

Nate: "Or a nursery." 

They laugh as Kenny thinks back to when Kyler insulted him during his test at Cobra Kai. He starts to pant as anger builds and builds inside of him. But right when he was about to unleash a punch...