fireworks

catras POV

we made it to the top though everyone was already standing at the huge balcony for the fireworks.

"damn it, we can't see anything" adora says

a huge crowd of people were blocking our view when I suddenly thought of something.

"I know what we can do" I tighten my grip on adoras hand and lead her to frostas room where we go to her rooftop from it.

"it's really pretty up here! you can be really smart sometimes you know that"

"yeah thanks" I say sarcastically

I'm glad I have really rich friends I thought to myself because now I'm able to enjoy this view next to ado-

I cough interrupting my own thought

"anyways I'm sure it'll be starting in 10 mins or so"

we look out on the rooftop both silent, a gust of wind could be felt

"doesn't this remind you of when we met the second time in the rooftop?" she asks

"yeah... I guess" it felt so long since then

"hey catra?"

"uh huh?"

"what did you mean when you asked that question before? like if I felt something when I did those things with you?"

I pause, I didn't think she'd bring it up again, I wasn't prepared as I totally forgot about saying that after the whole scorpia thing..

"uh it doesn't matter" I say counting each second passing hoping it won't be awkward

she looks at me confused, I still don't look at her.

"why were you on the ground then?" she asks another question and I sigh before speaking

"I... had a little fight.. with scorpia, well I wouldn't say little, I don't even know if we're friends anymore"

her body freezes as if time had stopped.

"what?! are you okay? that's really bad!" she puts her arm on my shoulder

"yeah..." I say turning to her trying to smile

"but I just feel like if I can lose scorpia so easily maybe I'll lose everyone else" I suddenly spill out my feelings

"catra.... scorpia and you probably need some time"

"no you don't understand, no that's wrong, you'd never understand"

"what? what are you saying?"

"just leave it, sorry"

"catra I can help- I can understand-"

"no adora you can't because everyone loves you like you're some princess or saviour of the world, if you lose one person you'd gain a hundred more!"

"catra that's not true-"

"really? Is it not? you're liked by anyone you meet! scorpias one of my really good friends..and now.."

"catra, you don't have to worry about not having any friends"

"what why?!-"

"because I'll always be your friend" she says cutting me off

adora turns and smiles at me softly, it was endearing, so much so that I was sure I had understood what love was at that moment, platonic and romantically.

her blue eyes almost look as if they are glowing, why wasn't she mad? I thought

"that's a lie.." I turn my head in embarrassment from how red my face had gotten

"didn't I tell you? even if you're a bad person I'll always be your friend"

my eyes widen, I had never had someone be so comforting in my life before.

"but that's wrong"

"I don't think you're a bad person though"

"you promise?" I say sternly, it felt childish saying something like that but I needed to make sure she wasn't just comforting me with lies.

"I promise"

I couldn't hear the last bit of the promise part as the fireworks began bursting into different colours and patterns painting the night sky, the bursts overtaking my ears, I hated loud sounds but right now it felt okay.

people under us in the penthouse going crazy, I didn't even remember they were there because my whole world was focused on one person.

I turn to her and she seems fixated on the bright sparkling hues, I watch the reflection of the fireworks in her eyes.

she notices me and turns.

I grab her arm and suddenly embrace her tightly, I had been close to her before but today it felt different, I couldn't bring myself to let go.

"catra?.."

"let me stay, for a minute"

she hugs back, it was warm and she smelt like vanilla.

"adora... there's something I need to tell you"

——————————-
Authors notes:
i want to thank you guys for 6k reads!!! i love y'all 💓 anyways what could catra want to say to adora?🤔