35. in the end

"𝐑𝐄𝐈𝐃, 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐔𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐒," 𝐅𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐀'𝐒 𝐌𝐔𝐅𝐅𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 through her bathroom door into her living room

"𝐑𝐄𝐈𝐃, 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐔𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐒," 𝐅𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐀'𝐒 𝐌𝐔𝐅𝐅𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 through her bathroom door into her living room. There, Spencer perused through a self-help book on the coffee table, which Francesca only kept there for decorative purposes. Spencer's index finger trailed down each page at lightning speed,
motivational words clashing with the statistics harbored in his brain. He paused briefly to respond to his girlfriend, whose distaste for the occasion at hand was evident.

          "This is not ridiculous," he emphasized, shutting the book and placing it in its rightful spot on the table before him. "Why are we not allowed to go out and celebrate your acceptance?"

         "Because I already celebrated with the girls, and you don't need to take me to a fancy dinner to prove your love," Francesca argued. "Fuck, I hate this dress! I look like a balloon."

         Spencer chuckled lightly despite her self-deprecating comment. He was having fun lying to his girlfriend about his intended plans for the evening. He kept checking his watch to make sure they were right on schedule. "Checka, I know you look amazing," Spencer reassured her, full confidence in his statement. "We have to go if we're going to make the reservation."

         Francesca suddenly burst open the bathroom door, standing in the doorframe with her arms awkwardly by her side. The green cocktail dress was especially flattering, but her face read otherwise. "Tell me I don't like a balloon, Reid," she gestured to her figure. "Tell me."

         Spencer rolled his eyes, standing up to approach her. He cupped her cheeks, laying a small kiss on her pouty lips. "You don't, but if that's not convincing enough for you, then I'll compromise and say you're the cutest balloon."

         "Hm," Francesca hummed, brow slanting. "That'll do."

         "Fantastic," Spencer clapped victoriously before reaching his hand out to her. "Let's get going."

         Francesca whined, truly not in the mood for something so elegant when all she wanted was to pig out on snacks and cuddle her boyfriend on his day off. "You're lucky I love you."

.・。.・

Spencer wasn't able to hide his surprise for much longer. It took Francesca only a few minutes to realize he was driving in the complete opposite direction of the restaurant they were supposed to be heading to. "Reid, for a genius, you really aren't good with directions," she joked, looking over her shoulder at what they had been passing. "Why are you getting on the interstate?"