10. wide awake

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐄𝐗𝐇𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐃, 𝐅𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐀'𝐒 𝐉𝐄𝐓 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄 consisted of an in-depth conversation with Aaron Hotchner and JJ about her experience with the previous case

          𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐄𝐗𝐇𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐃, 𝐅𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐀'𝐒 𝐉𝐄𝐓 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄 consisted of an in-depth conversation with Aaron Hotchner and JJ about her experience with the previous case. Hotch praised Francesca for her valuable insights and even suggested that she look further into becoming a profiler. As much as that excited JJ, Francesca knew she wasn't cut out for that position. The observations she made in Charlotte were because she was a pair of fresh eyes, someone who observed the world for how it was rather than analyzing a person's every neuron. She was happy to inform Hotch that this time with the B.A.U. was extremely memorable, but regretted to tell her best friend that if anything, the case made her realize how much better off she'd be behind the scenes of a crime.

          When the jet landed, the time was approaching 1:00 am. All of the agents seemed alert, but Francesca was wiped. She was shocked that she stumbled into the B.A.U. building without shutting her eyes. Once at the bullpen, everyone found their desks and began putting things away. Francesca hung around JJ as she quickly filed some papers.

          "If you get a 9-1-1 call tonight," Francesca started, leaning against JJ's desk, "just know that it's because I fell asleep at the wheel."

         JJ stared the girl down with disbelief. "Griff, you're not seriously thinking that you're driving all the way back to Georgetown right now?""

          Francesca took her tone as a order that she shouldn't be going anywhere. "Um, yeah?" she said, more as a question than a statement.

          "Absolutely not," JJ put away the last of her belongings and slung her purse around her shoulder. "You can stay at my place. If you want, I can drive you and we'll come get your car here in the morning."

         "I can last a few minutes driving, but I love me a good chauffeur," Francesca smiled. "I'm so down for a sleepover. Just like old times."

          JJ laughed at Francesca's childish reply. "C'mon, let's say goodnight to everyone."

          The two made their rounds to each team member. Francesca thanked each of them for being so welcoming, and they all generously gave her their business cards. The last person the girls approached was Spencer, who seemed to be doing more work at his desk.

          "Reid," JJ interrupted him, the boy putting down his pencil and looking up from his papers. "Griff and I are headed out."

         Spencer clumsily stood up, eye contact drifting more towards Francesca. "Oh, well, hope you guys have a good night and drive safely."

          Francesca stuck her hand out to Spencer. "It was nice doing business with you, doc."

          It took a while for Spencer to gain the confidence to grab her hand, but he did so after realizing his silence was concerning. "I told you not to call me that, Francesca," he shook her hand sternly.

          Their handshake continued for longer than normal, soon turning from meaningless and professional to soft and sincere. JJ eyed this, realizing what was going on. Similar to when they were at the swamp, JJ excused herself. "I'm going to pull the car around front," she smiled deviously. "I'll meet you out there, Griff."

          Francesca wouldn't have realized that JJ left if it weren't for her interjection. When the blonde made her way to the elevators, Francesca released her grip on Spencer's hand, making it fall limp. "I had fun today," she admitted, holding her hands behind her back. "Fun in a morbid way."

          Spencer scratched the back of his neck, a common habit of his when he got nervous. "You were really good out there, you know," he confessed, resulting in a validated grin from the girl. "Maybe I'll see you again in the B.A.U. one day, but as a profiler."

          "Well, if you weren't passed out on your comfy jet couch earlier, you would've heard my conversation with Hotch," Francesca teased. "I don't think this is the right job for me. This was a cool experience, don't get my wrong, but I think I'd rather prosecute these killers than be held at gun point by one."

          "I understand," Spencer shook his head, a hint of practically undetectable sadness in his voice. "You would be a good lawyer, though. You're hardworking and strong."

          "You think so?" Francesca asked meekly. Many of her loved ones have assured her that being a lawyer was the right career move, but Spencer's opinion seemed to mean a little bit more.

          "Absolutely."

          Francesca bashfully played with the ends of her hair. She stared at the boy, all skinny and built at the same time. For a moment, she thought to herself that he was almost attractive. However, the idea of that giddy feeling made her nervous. "So, I'll see you around sometime?"

          "I guess so," Spencer flashed his classic tight-lipped smile. "Oh, let me give you my card."

          Francesca was secretly thankful that he continued the pattern of the other agents by giving her his card. When he handed it to her, she placed it on top of the others, admiring the fact that she now had his digits.

         "You know, in case you need some career advice or want to do some more work at the B.A.U.," Spencer justified his purpose to hide the fact that he wanted her to have his number. "If you need help with law school, too, I know a few places."

          "Or if I'm in need of someone to buy me a drink?"

          Spencer and Francesca were equally as stunned at the outrageously flirtatious comment she made, but they were both quietly happy about it. Francesca knew a reference to their evening at the hotel bar would be just the right amount of flirty to keep him guessing.

         "Sure, um, yeah," Spencer stumbled over his words. "If you were to need that, of course."

          Francesca felt the redness taking over her cheeks. "I'll be sure to let you know."

          With that, she began her walk towards the elevator. Halfway there, she turned briefly around to give him a small wave. Much to her surprise, he still gazed at her the same way he did when she was standing in front of him – hands in his pockets, perfect posture, and light in his eyes.

          Francesca was on the verge of falling asleep on the spot, but she knew, as she peeked at the boy for the last time, that when he looked at her like that, she could never fail to be wide awake.

.・。.・

𝐌𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐒!
this chapter is so SOFT i love
i literally wrote this in one sitting
too whoops
may be a bit short but
i'll sacrifice length for fluff