30. shrine

[tw: drug use]

[tw: drug use]

          "𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐗-𝐁𝐎𝐘𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃?" 𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐊 𝐈𝐍𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐌 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐑 returned to the B.A.U. after their interview with Jasmine and Ingrid. They had entered Penelope's quarters in hopes of a lead, and they were shocked with the news they received.

          "That's what JJ said," Penelope explained, spinning around in her chair to face the two profilers. "I've been delving into this potential weirdo's life for the past half hour, and I've found nothing suspicious."

          She turned back to the computer, Spencer and Derek creeping over her shoulder. She flipped through various tabs as she talked. "He's worked at his father's real estate firm since he got out of college. He has a paper trail, but nothing out of the ordinary. His last purchase was lunch this afternoon. He has no criminal record and is pretty revered as a real estate agent. This guy is a model citizen."

          "Why does JJ suspect him?" Derek questioned. "We need something to work with."

          "She said something about a missing bat in Griff's apartment that this Patrick gave her. She thinks it's what he used to knock her out."

          Spencer straightened up, crossing his arms.
"It's got to be him," his jaw clenched. "Let's get an address."

          "We need a little more than that, kid," Derek put a hand on Spencer's shoulder. "Any unsub could've found and used that bat."

         "We're wasting time!" Spencer insisted, fire in his eyes.

          Penelope looked up at him. "I'm gonna keep looking, and the second I find anything odd, I'll let you know."

While Spencer stomped out of the room, Derek shuffled to keep up with him. Calling the boy's name as he sped up to a jog, Derek was lucky Spencer halted at one point in the hallway. "Reid, I know this is hard for you," he started, "but we have to approach this like any other case. Bias can be detrimental. You know that."

Spencer simply stared at the ground, fists balled up. "We're going to get this guy, but we have to do it procedurally," Derek stated, paining himself to speak the truth that he knew his friend didn't want to hear. "Hey, I think Rossi and Hotch are back. Let's go talk to them and let Penelope work."

        Spencer knew he couldn't fight him; Derek was right, after all. He obliged by his suggestion, following Derek back to the bullpen where Hotch and Rossi were posted by a cork board. "Anything?" Derek announced, catching the two's attention.

         "Didn't sign into work today, as expected," Rossi relayed, pointing to some logs Francesca's secretary had printed out for him. "The time she left yesterday checks out with Reid's story."