13. detect deception

"𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐒

          "𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐒. 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐘 𝐁𝐎𝐘."

         Despite being utterly exhausted, Spencer Reid managed to complete the lengthy car ride back to Quantico. He was normally always on time, getting ahead on the case before his fellow special agents. However, that early Sunday morning, Spencer found himself clumsily stumbling into the round room after everyone else. He tried to take a seat incognito, but Derek Morgan's playful remark drew attention to him.

         "You're late," Hotch pointed out, giving Spencer a stern glare. The boy sunk in his seat, clutching onto his satchel. "That's not like you."

         "I'm sorry, sir. Something came up," Spencer managed to lie about his whereabouts. He figured it would be best not to tell his colleagues about his "date" with Francesca Griffin. He wasn't sure if Francesca wanted them to know, and the rush of guilt he felt whenever he peered at JJ was enough to keep his mouth shut.

         "Leave him alone, Hotch," Rossi chuckled. "He's here now."

         Derek waved his pen at Emily, who sat beside him, as if he was preparing her to hear a joke. "Yeah, Reid. Who was the lucky lady?" He and Emily laughed.

        "Uh, what?" Spencer stiffened further. "No, no one." He analyzed the looks of everyone in the room, reading for signs of suspicion about his statement. Luckily, they all appeared more confused than skeptical.

         "I'd rehash this for you, Reid," JJ brought the attention back to the case, "but we don't have a lot of time. We need to be in Miami by dawn."

         "You can brief him on the plane," Hotch ordered, standing up. "Wheels up in fifteen."

         Rossi, JJ, Hotch, and Emily proceeded to leave the round room, but as Spencer tried to regain his dignity, Derek put a hand on his shoulder as he passed by.

         "You good, kid?" Derek asked, sincerely this time. "You can talk to me, you know."

         Spencer shook his friend's hand off, raising out of his seat. "Yes, I'm fine," he rebuked, more aggressively than he wanted to come off.

         Derek crossed his arms, clearly not letting the boy move past him. "What's wrong with you?"

         "Nothing," Spencer assured, clutching the strap of his satchel. "I just had to attend to my mom quickly. That's all." He was shocked by how simply he could lie on the spot.

         "Okay," Derek accepted, easily detecting that something was up. "She alright?"

         Spencer nodded rapidly, shifting his weight between his feet. "Yep. She's fine."

         "Fine," Derek repeated, almost mockingly. "Alright. Well, get on the plane."

          Relieved and assuming he passed Derek's test, Spencer scurried towards the door. Derek watched as the agent speed-walked out, knowing well enough that Spencer was hiding something. Yet, Spencer cracked a smile in the bullpen, confident that he deceived a man whose job is to detect deception.

.・。.・

         "Jasmine working? On a Sunday? She's normally off," Francesca inquired when Ingrid opened her apartment door for the brunette.

         "Yeah, I guess so," Ingrid shrugged, unsure of her roommate's official whereabouts. "You get to drink her coffee, though."

         "Works for me."

         Francesca settled onto the couch, taking in the pleasant smell of fresh coffee. Since she was already in a positive mood from her night, it was easy for her to notice the little joys in her morning.

         Ingrid eventually joined Francesca in the living room, handing the girl a warm mug. "Cream and two sugars. As you like it."

         Francesca grinned, eagerly grabbing the drink. "You know me so well."

         The friends sipped their coffees as if they were in heaven. "Hey," Ingrid began, placing her mug on the arm of the couch, "what did you do last night? I tried calling you and you weren't picking up."

         Even though Ingrid was the girl's best friend, Francesca was hesitant to confess that she was with Spencer. It wasn't a matter of embarrassment, but more of the inability to admit that Ingrid and Jasmine were right the other day. She also worried that the news would quickly travel to JJ, and for some reason, the idea of JJ knowing scared her.

         "I went to bed early," Francesca fibbed, trying to come up with something believable. "I'm still
jet lagged from Charlotte."

         "It was one trip, girl," Ingrid rolled her eyes. "You need to get out more."

         "I can't control my melatonin levels," Francesca objected, finishing off the coffee. She held her mug to Ingrid with a pouty face. "Wanna get me some more?"

         Ingrid sighed, getting off the couch. "You're lucky I like you."

         Once Ingrid departed for the kitchen, Francesca felt a buzz in her pocket. Realizing her phone was still in there, she took it out with curiosity. On the screen flashed a text from Spencer, one which brought a soft smile to her face.

Spencer Reid
I had a really great time last night, Checka. We're in Miami now, but not sure when we'll be back. Let's get together again soon, if you're up for it :)

         "What are you so giddy about?" Ingrid's voice pierced Francesca's mushy thoughts.

          She immediately shut her phone off, trying to be slick about it. "Nothing. My boss just gave me a day off."

          Ingrid wasn't stupid. She knew her best friend like the back of her hand, and the classic put-phone-away move is the most obvious indication of a secret ever. Instead of interrogating her, Ingrid just nodded. If it was something important going on with Francesca, it wouldn't take long for her and Jasmine to figure it out.

.・。.・

𝐌𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐒!
spence and griff think
they're smooth....
sorry for the lack of updating!
school started so i'm busy
but i'll try and update as
frequently as possible!