9. the swamp

𝐃𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐍'𝐒 𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋, 𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 drive to the swamp where the bodies were dumped

           𝐃𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐍'𝐒 𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋, 𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 drive to the swamp where the bodies were dumped. Spencer didn't hesitate to step on the gas, practically flooring it to the destination. When they got there, red and blue lights circled the air. One of the team's SUVs was easy to spot, despite the darkness falling on them. Standing outside of it was JJ, urgently speaking with some officers.

"Grab a vest from the backseat," Spencer told Francesca, pointing behind himself.

Francesca's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. "You – you want me to go down there?" she stammered. "What if it's the twins? You can't be responsible for me if they attack me."

Spencer shook his head with comedic disappointment, reaching back on his own and pulling out an FBI labeled, bulletproof vest. He plopped it on the girl's lap, who practically jumped when it landed on her. "It's just protocol. You can stay up top with JJ."

Francesca slipped the vest over her head, adjusting it so it gave her maximum protection. She followed Spencer out of the car once she was ready, and they speed-walked to the commotion.

JJ was relieved to see her two friends. "There you are," she greeted them, quickly dismissing herself from the officer she was talking to.

"What's going on?" Spencer asked, trying to peek through the marsh.

"The twins are down there," JJ explained. "Morgan had gone to look in the swamp with Emily when they saw the black sedan parked across the street. Thankfully they got there in time, because they have another victim with them."

The liaison showed the pair a photo of a girl –
a teenage brunette. "This is McKaylee Brooks," JJ let Spencer take the picture from her hands. "Her parents called the police department when she didn't come home after school today. That's who the twins have with them right now."

"Is she alright?" Francesca's mind immediately went to the girl's well-being.

"Based on what Morgan relayed to us, she has similar injuries to the other five victims," JJ answered. "Hotch and Rossi are down there now."

"I'm going to check it out," Spencer clutched his gun in his holster. "Just to see if they need me."

Francesca's heart skipped a beat. She didn't feel that way when she found out any other agent was putting themselves in danger. However, knowing Spencer was going down there made her uneasy. "Be careful," she pleaded.

Spencer gave her and JJ a close-lipped smile. "I'll be quick," he said before heading off into the swamp.

Francesca tried to discretely hug herself, but JJ noticed right away. After spending years living with the girl, JJ knew every one of her nervous habits, one of which being the self-embrace. She put a hand on Francesca's arm.