26. always the same

"𝐑𝐄𝐈𝐃, 𝐈 𝐓𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 to call me whenever I have leave work late

          "𝐑𝐄𝐈𝐃, 𝐈 𝐓𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 to call me whenever I have leave work late."

          Francesca didn't typically have late nights at work. However, tonight was the exception. She was swamped in paper work from a messy divorce case, and everything was due to her boss the next morning. She was motivated to complete it, though. Her life seemed to be going smoothly at the moment – a broken friendship was mended and her relationship was flourishing. She really comprehended the latter when she got a call from her boyfriend just as she packed up her things.

"I know, but I want to make sure you get back to your place safely," Spencer defended his habit. "Most abductions – "

"That's not what I want to hear as I walk to my car in a dark parking garage," Francesca stressed, reaching in her purse for her keys.

Spencer released a barely audible chuckled. "Sorry. Hey, how about a pizza lunch tomorrow to celebrate the fact that you're done with that case? I can come to you, like the original time."

Francesca found her car, climbing inside and locking the doors immediately. Her heart was full thinking of the first time Spencer spontaneously brought her pizza at work. Little did she know what amazing things would come from that day. "Only if you're not busy."

"I won't be busy. I'll make sure of it."

The girl shook her head, unsurprised by his persistence. "Okay. It's a date," she turned the key in the ignition. "I'm about to start driving, so I'll talk to you later?"

"Drive safe," Spencer requested.

Francesca smiled slightly, wishing he could see it. "I will," she promised, ending the call and tossing her phone on the passenger seat. Her drive back to her apartment consisted of obnoxiously singing along to throwback songs until the very moment she pulled into her complex's parking lot.

Her greeting to her doorman was always the same. Her walk to her apartment was always the same. The way she unlocked her door was always the same. Yet, tonight, there was something off. The girl noticed it the moment she stepped inside, observing an empty glass of what appeared to be wine on her kitchen countertop. She cocked her head to the side, pondering if she drank wine last night to warrant its presence on her counter.

But, Francesca's thoughts were interrupted by the swinging force of a blunt object being smashed into the back of her head. Everything went black before she even hit the ground.

.・。.・

Spencer was settling in for the night when his mind wandered to his girlfriend, as it often did throughout the day. As he flicked through channels on the TV, he picked up his phone and dialed her number. He had a hopeful grin on his lips, excited to hear her voice as the phone rang. After the maximum amount of rings, he was sent to voicemail.

The boy checked the time, realizing it was almost midnight. He gave Francesca one last call, but the outcome was the same. He figured she was exhausted and she may have fallen asleep, so he took to text to say his goodnight.

Hey! I called a few times, but
I'm guessing you're getting your beauty
sleep :) I'll let you know about pizza
once I get to work tomorrow.
Night, Checka <3

Spencer put his phone down, curling up on his couch to absentmindedly watch a documentary on the history channel. He couldn't help but think about Francesca, but that wasn't uncommon. It could be assumed the couple never saw each other based on how eager Spencer always was to talk to or spend time with her. It was just how he was – he had a lot of love to give, and Francesca was happily at the receiving end of it.

He could not wait to see her the next day.

.・。.・

𝐌𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐒!
short chapter but
uh oh....