24. to say goodbye

"𝐈 𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐀𝐑, 𝐈 𝐀𝐌 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 snacks! The prices are outrageous!"

It had been three days since Francesca and Jasmine rekindled their relationship over the phone. The dinner Francesca suggested that night was hosted by her, but what was advertised as a home cooked meal turned into takeout after Francesca's failed attempt to boil water. The trio hung out every day after that as normal, and they decided to go see a movie on Monday night to take advantage of their late shifts at work the next day. However, when they headed back to Francesca's apartment, Ingrid didn't fail to chew the other girls' ears off about her distaste for their trip.

          "Ingrid, we know this," Francesca chuckled, entering the elevator first.

          Jasmine followed suit. "Yeah, it's nothing new. The movies are a scam."

         "We have to start going to CVS or something to get snacks and sneak them in," Ingrid proposed as she filtered in last. She kept rambling as Francesca pressed buttons. "It's getting cold, so we can all wear big jackets with a lot of pockets to hide stuff in."

         Jasmine scoffed. "I have no problem with bringing them in plain sight."

         "Well, I'm not a blatant criminal, so."

         Francesca scooted past them when they arrived at the sixth floor. "You guys are insane," she muttered with every intention of them hearing.

         The three continued to playfully bicker about the correct offense level that paid candy smuggling should be categorized in as they walked the halls of the floor. Francesca's apartment was at the end of some twists and turns, which she didn't enjoy, but the seclusion and privacy were pluses. She had her head turned to make her case to Ingrid when the girls behind her suddenly halted in their tracks, almost pushing Francesca over like a domino. "Hey!" Francesca scolded, feet grape-vining to regain her balance. Jasmine and Ingrid's faces read surprise, triggering Francesca to divert her focus from them to what they stared at. She faced their direction of travel again, her own expression showing shock when she saw what–or who–was at her door.

          Curled up in a ball with his knees to his chest was Spencer Reid. His face was nuzzled between his kneecaps, hands shaking despite his hold on himself. He clearly heard the girls coming his way, but in expectation of just his girlfriend, the boy flushed white when he saw the unexpected guests. Spencer clumsily stood up, trying to rub the tears off his face.

         "Reid?" Francesca breathed, quickening her pace. "What are you doing here?"

         Jasmine and Ingrid remained frozen as Francesca approached Spencer. She cupped his swollen cheeks with concern. "Oh, baby," she whimpered, unashamed of the cheesy pet name that escaped her lips. "What happened?"