15. happiest girl on earth

𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐊 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐍 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐃, 𝐒𝐎 he vowed to always be on his toes

          𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐊 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐍 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐃, 𝐒𝐎 he vowed to always be on his toes. He was sure to only be skeptical in situations that screamed "questionable," and spending the last few days with Spencer Reid did just that. After he was late for the Miami case, Derek smelt something fishy. However, he convinced himself to let the kid live. Recently, though, Spencer's behavior triggered Derek's suspicion. He was a profiler, after all.

It was the day following the team's return from Denver and they were already swamped in more paperwork. Derek treated himself to a hot cup of coffee that next morning, and as he stirred his creamer, he caught a glimpse of Spencer at this desk. The boy was chatting away on the phone, eyebrows raising every few seconds to indicate he was intrigued and a smile curling at the end of his lips. For a kid buried in redundant and disturbing files, Derek knew the happiness was concerning.

Derek made his way to Emily's desk, her also trying to dive into her work when he arrived. "Hey, Prentiss, can I ask you something?"

Emily dropped her highlighter, looking up at the man now sitting on the edge of her desk. She crossed her arms, leaning back. "If you're asking me out, you can beat it."

Derek's hand flew to his heart. "Ouch, but that's not it." He looked over his shoulder to Spencer's desk, where the doctor was still grinning and chatting with glee. "Doesn't Reid look too happy?"

"Wow, Reid being happy. What a crime," Emily rolled her eyes.

"No, seriously," Derek urged, putting his mug down. "That kid has hours worth of work to do, and he's over there giggling away."

"He's just on the phone, Derek," Emily insisted. "Let him be."

Derek's brow furrowed. "But don't you think he's been acting a little weird recently? I mean, he was all frazzled during the Miami case, but he was on cloud nine in Denver. I've seen him on the phone more than ever before, and he's always laughing and smiling."

"What are you implying?" Emily started to realize where Derek was going with this. "Do you think he's got a girl?"

"What other explanation would there be?" Derek raised his voice with excitement. "The day he was late, I thought he was with someone, because I can just notice that stuff."

"Of course you can."

"In Miami, he was probably all weird because he thought I was on to him. Now that it's been a while, he's starting to let his guard down. Little does he know, a man that gets some always can tell when another man is getting some."

Emily groaned, "You are something else, Derek Morgan." Derek laughed it off.

"Well, the theory isn't so far-fetched," Emily admitted. "I guess all we can do is ask him."

"Ask who what?"

JJ suddenly appeared from behind Emily, stacks of papers on top of her handy clipboard. Emily adjusted her seat to let her in the conversation. "Derek thinks Reid has a mystery girl."

JJ's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. "What? Really?"

"Yep," Derek boasted. "You've noticed he's been more weird than normal, right?"

The blonde shrugged. "I mean, maybe. I guess recently he's been more fidgety when he's around me."

"Aha!" Derek clapped his hands. "That's all the backup I needed."

"Who would it be, though?" Emily questioned. "Someone we know?"

"Probably not," JJ shook her head. "We would've seen the signs from the girl if we knew her."

"Good point," Derek nodded. "This is going to be harder to expose than I thought."

"You don't have to expose the poor guy," JJ chuckled. "Let him have his fun. When he wants to say something, he will."

"Yeah, but I'm gonna keep messing with him," Derek peeked backwards again, noticing Spencer now knee-deep in his work.

"If he does have a lover," Emily began," it would be good for him. He needs someone."

"Totally," JJ agreed. "I hope she's making him happy."

"Yeah, in bed at least," Derek teased, earning frustrated complaints from the women.

.・。.・

          "And then I was telling her that – "

         A piercing buzz interrupted Jasmine's story time at lunch. Her, Ingrid, and Francesca sat outside the Mexican restaurant across from Jasmine's work. Francesca realized that the phone call belonged to her, so with a quick glance at the caller, she excused herself swiftly.

          Jasmine's eyes trailed as she watched Francesca walk away, bringing the phone to her ear with a cheeky smile. The brunette stole a chip from their nachos, plopping it into her mouth. "What's her deal nowadays?"

         Ingird, casually sipping on her soda, raised her eyes to look at her friend. "What do you mean?"

         "Look at her," Jasmine nodded in Francesca's direction. The girl was sitting on a nearby ledge, looking as though she was elaborately telling a story. Every few words, she'd laugh audibly enough that she could be heard from her table.

         "Why is she all giddy?" Ingrid questioned at the sight.

          "That's what I'm wondering," Jasmine added. "She's been pretty closed off, too. Remember when she couldn't hang out the other night because she had to see her mom? I didn't even know her mom was in town."

          Ingrid's eyebrows rose. "True. She'd tell us that."

         "And she always takes phone calls when we're around. Since when does she get up and talk privately?"

         "That is weird," Ingrid admitted, pursing her lips in thought.

          Then suddenly, as if some surge of realization overtook them, both girls gasped, hands slamming on the table. "Holy shit," Jasmine whispered. "She's – "

          " – back together with Patrick!" Ingrid finished the sentence, both her and Jasmine jumping in their seats a little more.

          "That has to be it," Jasmine beamed confidently. "She doesn't want to tell us so we don't meddle."

          "Or she wants to surprise us," Ingrid theorized. "Oh! What if they're getting married?!"

          "If Griff didn't tell me he proposed, I would drop kick her right then and there."

          They both laughed. "What do we do? Should we tell her we know?" Ingrid asked.

         Jasmine shook her head. "I don't think so. We need more definitive proof. Then, we can bring it up. Until then, we lay low and subtly try to get something out of her."

          Ingrid took one of the nachos. Before taking a bite, she slightly smiled. "I hope she's happy."

         Jasmine looked again to the girl on the phone, who still had the biggest grin on her face. "Patrick's a great dude," she pointed out.

         "I'm sure he's making her the happiest girl on Earth."

.・。.・

𝐌𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐒!
this chapter has me laughing
the team, ingrid, and jas are all so sure
but little do they know...