Patriotism

'Clint remind me again,' Natasha said angrily, donning a red, white and blue costume, a white bonnet and a pair of ancient glasses. 'Why am I dressed like a walking flag, for Cooper's project? Can't you be in a damn costume?'

They were inside Clint's car, driving to an American History project in Cooper's school. Clint had tricked her into wearing the audacious costume, by using a favour she had owed him when Clint saved her from a group of chickens and promised, or threatened his private area's attachment to his anatomy, to never tell anyone about her irrational fear for birds.

'Watch your language,' he deadpanned, driving his car. 'Laura refused point blank. And Lila close the the literal door at my face. And also, you owed me that favour, and I hadn't used it in 7 years, so why not now and you?' he quipped.

'Oh no!' Cooper yelled out. 'Dad, stop the car. My notes. My notes!'

Clint stopped the car near the sidewalk. 'Uh, Nat, please?'

'What? No,'
'Come on,'
'What's in it for me?'
'I'll let you curse in front of Cooper.'
'Nah, I already do that,'
'I'll clean your car for 2 months,'

'Cooper, where was the last place you kept your notes?'

'I think when we were doing that tour of the Tower, I maybe left them in dad's room.'

'I love you, Nat,' Clint said, jokingly and sincerely.

They drove back to the under-construction new Avengers Tower, Natasha placed her hand on the hand scanner and ran to the lift.

'Hold it! incoming,'

But she stopped in her tracks when she saw who was holding the doors.

For the first time in her life, she wished she was naked.

F*ck my life.

Steve's eyes widened. His jaw dropped and his whole body seemed to have frozen. Again. His hand, which was holding the doors slipped off, and, if he meant it, jumped to head, un-intentionally, flattening it. His eyes twinkled with amusement.

She and Steve had known each other for a little over a year, and they barely talked, except on comms and, well, bickering during undercover missions, in acting and in real life. So she really hated this. And she was literally a walking joke-stand. It was almost as if she wore it to be made fun of by the best person to make fun of her.

Because now, Steve had every damn right to tease her. And knowing him, he wasn't an arrogant person, or a Stark, but Steve was going to make her regret her fear of birds.

His hand held the doors while he was trying to stand still. A smile crept its way on his face. He tried his very best, worst, to hide it. His eyes were squinting in this struggle. His control snapped and he burst out laughing.

 His control snapped and he burst out laughing

'So . . . Are you going to get in, or do I have to stare at you staring at me?' He smirked. 'Because I'm not minding this--' he gestured his hand to her dress. She rolled her eyes, feeling a blush rising upto her neck, cheeks, and her forehead. '--one bit at all.'

She scoffed. But she couldn't think of a witty reply. 'I hate you so much, you cocky bastard,' she said abjectly, admitting defeat, a rare sight indeed. 'Wipe that sh*t eating grin off your face, you son of a bitch. '

'Thanks for the flattery. Now please step in,' he said, still smiling, but even more widely. 'Or unless you're not done taking off my clothes.' he showed her in the lift. She walked in, feeling ashamed that he had caught her.

I only had to take off your pants. I was this close.

She pressed on the 8th floor. It was an awkward ride as Steve was still staring at her, shaking with laughter.

'I'm sorry,' he said, not smiling but still shaking his head. 'I shouldn't be laughing but--

'I know,' she said, completely red in the face. 'This dress is just asking you to tease me.'

'No,' he said, clicking his tongue. 'This dress is teasing--' he moved closer to her ear, his voice raspy and deeper, his hand resting on her shoulder. '--me.'

Steve wasn't technically telling the truth. He was now teasing her.

Urgh, stop making my panties drop.

You already do it whenever you are working out and I spy on you.

'Wow,' Natasha said, feeling something blocking her throat. 'I didn't know Captain America is so deranged.' she swiped his hand away, placing both her hands on her hips, quirking a brow, with a playful smile on her very red face.

'Oh really, Miss Patriotic?' he said, shifting back and facing her with a slight judgemental look on his face. 'You are dressed like Betsy Ross, and you have the nerve to address Captain America with that mouth?'

Oh damn.

'Oh shut your damn mouth,' she said, smiling in spite of herself. 'Ah, my floor. Bye.'

Well, that was fun. Stop thinking about her like that.

But seriously, what is she wearing?

With that, Natasha walked out, swaying her hips, intentionally. Steve was looking behind her, shaking his head.

'Oh if she'd only stayed longer and Stark was watching us from that camera

'Oh if she'd only stayed longer and Stark was watching us from that camera. The dress will be on the ground and he would blast his eyes out. '