Nights to Remember

I

2 0 1 7

S O M E W H E R E  I N  I T A L Y

Natasha finished her glass of water, set it down and leaned against the kitchen counter. 373 days. 373 days ever since the fallout. Ever since she lost half her family. Lost their trusts. Had marked herself as a traitor. Her red roots were showing through her platinum blonde hair. She didn't bother colouring them. She sniffed as she washed the glass and kept it in the kitchen cabinet. Picking up a blanket, she made her way out to the porch, where they kept three chairs and a two beanbags. James was in Wakanda, currently under cryo-freeze, Clint and Scott had taken the plea deal and were under house arrest, Wanda and Vision were somewhere in Austria, Sam was crashing at his sister's place, who was loyal enough to not rat him out, so that left Steve and Natasha.

The door opened behind her. She lifted her head and smiled weakly.

'Can't sleep, too?'

'You know it.'

He sat besides her. 'Nightmare again?'

She sighed. The only downside to her relationship with Steve Rogers was that he wouldn't stop until you gave in.

'They keep getting worse. What if he's still alive? I mean I thought I had killed him years ago. And Yelena, I made her so upset about our family, I scarred Antonia. I'm helpless, Steve. Too damaged.'

He placed his hand on her shoulder. 'Answer me truthfully: Do you enjoy them?'

Her nostrils flared as she lunged towards him. He caught her by her wrists. 'What the f*ck does that mean? Of course I do.'

'Okay. Do you wish you could stop them?' He loosened his grip.

'Rogers . . . '

'Yes or no, Natasha?'

'Obviously.'

'And do you wish to change whatever happened? Everything?'

'Anything where I had screwed over my life whenever it was going well.'

'There, you are not helpless,' he said simply, letting go of her wrists.

She stood up. 'Let's go in.'

They closed the door behind as they headed over to the sofa and took their seats facing each other.

'What do you mean, 'I'm not helpless'? I clearly am damaged beyond repair.'

'That's the negative version of "fixed permanently". So irreversible, you can't change it.'

'Still not following. Be more me.'

'Let's go back to 25th December 1984. The day you came in. You were forcefully taken- '

'- Merry f*cking Christmas-'

' - Was that your fault?'

She stared at him. 'No.'

'The years you trained as an assassin, killing people. Did you want to do that?'