Moving On with You

2 0 2 3

Natasha finished making her peanut butter sandwich, and pretended to nod at the hologram of Rocket talking, Nebula, Okoye, Carol and Rhodey accompanying him in hologram forms.

'. . . . we boarded that highly suspect warship Danvers pinged.'

'It was an infectious garbage scowl,' said Nebula irritably.

'So, thanks for the hot tip.' He turned to Carol and grinned smugly at her.

'Well, you were closer,' she reasoned, shaking some of her hair off her eyes.

'Yeah. And now we smell like garbage.'

Natasha ignored this, concluding Carol would take care of it on her own, and turned to Okoye. 'You get a reading on those tremors?'

'It was a mild subduction under the African plate.'

'Do we have a visual? How are we handling it?'

'Nat, it's an earthquake under the ocean,' she said, in a calm tone, which irked Natasha. 'We handle it by not handling it.'

'Just trying to help . . . ' she muttered in Russian under her breath.

'Carol, are we seeing you here next month?'

'Not likely.'

'What, you gonna get another haircut?' Rocket quipped.

'Listen, trash-panda,' she said crossly, not catching the fleeting look on his face. 'I'm covering a lot of territory. The things that are happening on Earth, are happening everywhere, on thousands of planets. You could also help me out, instead of making fun of usless things.'

'All right, all right, that's a good point. That's a good point,' he murmured, looking away.

'So you might not see me for a long time,' she told Natasha.

'Alright. Uh, well. This channel is always active . . . '

. . . Because I have nothing else to do . . .

' . . . So, if anything goes sideways . . . anyone's making trouble where they shouldn't . . . comes through me.'

'Okay.'
'Copy.'
'Yes, Nat.'

'Alright.' She nodded, wishing to be left alone. Okoye, Nebula, and Rocket disconnected.

'Good luck,' Carol said to Rhodey as she cut off her call.

Natasha sighed, exhausted, and sat down. She absently played with the frame of a photo on her desk, of her, Sam, James, Wanda, Scott, Steve and her during the hiding. Her eyes lingered on Steve.

She felt someone staring at her. She looked up to find Rhodey still there.

'Where are you?'

'Mexico. The Federales found a room full of bodies. Looks like a bunch of cartel guys. Never even had the chance to get their guns off.'

'It's probably a rival gang,' she dismissed, wanting to end the call and reaching for the button.

He definitely realised this as he pressed on, 'Except it isn't.'