I'm Sorry (1)

Natasha's POV:

'Maybe Tony's right'. Everyone looked at me. Even I was shocked at my words. I slipped it out but it was too late. I had to go down that path.

'If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off-' but Sam cut me off.
'Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?', he asked me, suspicious of my words.

'No, I'm just . . . I'm reading the terrain. We have made . . . some very public mistakes-' I look at Steve, who looked both shocked and heartbroken, lowering his head in sadness. I swallowed my tears down.
'- We need to win their trust back.' I had done it; I lost Steve's trust in me.

'Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you just agree with me?', Tony asked me, feigning surprise, deep down gleeful that I agreed with him.

God, how does Pepper deal with him. Wait, he hasn't mentioned Pepper. What had happened?
'Oh', I whined, knowing that I can't pull myself out of the hole I now just dug. 'I want to take it back now.'

'No, no, no. You can't retract it', Tony said smugly, wiggling his finger left and right in a very irksome way. 'Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed--I win.' I sigh, wondering what will happen to Steve and Wanda.

I notice Steve open his phone and read something that changes his demeanor in an instant. His eyes widened even more. His breath suddenly became uneven. His hand, which was holding the phone, was shaking violently.

'I have to go.', he suddenly said, dropping the Accords on the coffe table, and walking away towards the staircase.

After that everyone left the room. I went to the staircase, ducked behind the pillars, where Steve and Sam were talking about something. Even Sam was upset. I knew it wasn't my place, but had to do something to tell him my head may be was with Tony, but my heart was with him.

'. . . Will come with you, Steve', I heard Sam say. 'You can't possibly go there alone.'

'You don't have to', Steve said in a brittle voice, leaning on the rails for support, wiping his eyes with his left hand. I have never seen him this broken, nor crying. I wonder if she . . . Oh god. It is her.

'I know', Sam said sincerely. 'I want to'. With that, Sam was climbing back up. I sneaked back to my room, slammed the door behind me, leaning on the closed door, crying silently. I was even more disappointed. He had lost two of the most important women in his life just in a snap.

'I'm sorry, Steve. I only want what's best for us, what's best for you. What's best for all of us.'

*After Peggy's funeral, the Cathedral, London*

Steve's POV:

Peggy, the love of my life, gone. Gone before I could give her the dance I had owed her. Right when I had to loose the trust of my closest partner, Natasha. Sam had to take an early flight back to New York. I shook my head when I saw someone walking towards me. It was Natasha. Maybe she changed her mind. But there's a very small chance for that; She is a very firm woman, who doesn't budge easily. Just like Peggy. I didn't know how it came out but I started to tell her everything, with no introduction.

'When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive', I said, lowering my head. 'I was just lucky to have her.' I looked towards a framed photo of Peggy, my heart clenching.

'She had you back, too.', she said sympathetically, gazing at me with what looked like slightly glistening eyes. She looked like she too had been crying. But why?

I had somewhat of a feeling that she came here to convince me one last time, so I asked her, 'Who else signed?'

'Tony. Rhodey. Vision.', she ticked off the names.
'Clint?', I asked.

'Says he's retired.', she smiles slightly, but it went away rather quickly.
'Wanda?'

'TBD', she answered back, taking a rather deep breath before speaking again.'I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet.', she said hopefully.

I just sigh and lower my head in disagreement.

But she wasn't going to give up. 'Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path', she said, moving closer to me, her hands folded. 'Staying together is more important than how we stay together.' She looked as if she was also trying to convince herself.

I wanted to tell her that it was wrong, but my heart said something else.

'What are we giving up to do it?', I said. She sighs in defeat.
I shake my head, unconvinced. 'I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it.'

She looks at me unperturbed. 'I know.'

I was slightly suspicious why she did come all the way here to me. 'Then what are you doing here?'

'I didn't want you to be alone.' She said, tenderly.

I felt my heart warm. She got closer, placed her hand on my arm and pulled me in for a hug.
'Come here.'

She pulled away, kissed my slightly moist cheek.

'My head may be for the Accords but my heart will always be for you, Steve', she said, placing her hand on the same cheek, stroking it, wiping the fresh tears away.

'Nat, no matter what, you always have my trust', I said, reading her mind. 'Don't think otherwise.'

She nodded, smiling widely. 'I have to leave. Sorry.' She turned to her heel and walked away.

I turn towards her direction, sighing, wondering when will I ever see her again and under what circumstances.