No Point in Running Away

Love.

Natasha was denied every single epitome of it. But with her 2 month old "No label", Steve, she has been getting it. But the problem she didn't feel like she could give that same love to him. The Red Room had made her believe as a killing machine, she can't feel anything, can't reciprocate anyone's feelings, and also, made her think love was for the weak.

Drips of cold water ran down her body as she showered. She heard a knock on the door.

'Yeah?'

'Do you wanna take a walk?' "No label" asked.

'It's' 9 in the morning, and I don't feel like it,' she responded. Her stomach rumbled. 'Hang on, cook dinner and then maybe.'

She heard Steve chuckle. 'Deal.'

'Towel?' she murmured.

The door opened, and a hand popped out, handing her a fresh white towel.

'Thanks, lo— loser.' she corrected herself.

She didn't hear a word. Did he notice her slip-up? What should she do? Did she mess up the only good thing in her life?

'I'm hurt, Natasha.'

He used her full name instead of his affectionate "Tasha". Yep, she lost him.

'That you think I'm a loser when I'm with you.'

She felt her heart melt. This man can turn the most pathetic insults into the most poetic words.

'Wanna join me?' she asked, opening the door, giving him a full display.

She saw that same smirk on his lips which appeared the night he lost his virginity.

'Thought you'd never ask.'

~

After 20 minutes of messing around in the shower and cleaning it up because the shower drain was clogged, both of them had stepped out of the HQ, and walk outside the city. He took her to Brooklyn, and showed her so many alleys where he had been mugged, beaten up and/or felt up after his transformation, she'd lost count after 29.

'You got felt up here?' Natasha said incredulously. They were in front of a playschool.

He scratched the back of his head. 'It used to be a parking spot for the cinemas.'  

'I hope I'm not overstepping,' she said. 'But can I see your old home?'

He looked at her, smiling slightly. 'Sure.'

'After that maybe, a trip to Coney Island?'

'No sex for 2 months if you ever bring that up again.'

'Oh really? Yeah no, It's not like we're gonna spend the rest of our lives togeth— staying sexually frustrated. You weren't the one who tore my dress off.'

--

'Did anything change?' she said, peering into an ancient bronze vase. She only breathed in the slightest, and she got a handful of dust up her nose, throat and eyes.

'No,' he responded from the hallway. 'Not that I remember.'

'Well, I guess— we should wrap—  up, I guess.'

He came out of the hallway, both hands in his pockets. 'Sure, Nat. Why did you sniff that vase knowing it is older than me.'

'Can you imagine if we ever lived he— ' Again with the slip-up? Are you f*cking serious? She coughed, only this time faking it. 'Lived to see the HQ in a hundred years?'

He looked at her warily. 'I am 105 years old. I think I can fit a few more.'

She laughed dryly. 'Let's get out of here. Please. '

~

It was now 8:30. They were sitting right outside the HQ, eating Natasha's favourite kind of sandwiches.

'The stars are beautiful,' she said, staring at a particularly bright one, shining blue. Her eyes wandered down, landing on the beaming face of Steve Rogers. He turned his head to look at her with a puzzled smile.

'What?' he said blankly.

She smiled, 'Nothing, just how happy you look tonight.'

'After the whole bathroom rendezvous, I am pretty happy.' He bumped his nose against hers.

She giggled and turned once again to look at the sky. The blue one had disappeared out of sight. Even though she shouldn't have, she was now frantically worrying. Her head was shaking left and right trying to find it.

'What's wrong?' he asked, concerned. 'Did a comet pass by?'

'No, I saw a star and now I can't . . .  Never mind,' she said crossly. 'Something's been bugging me.'

He put down his sandwich, looking at her intently. 'What's going on?'

It's time.

'Today this morning before the shower thing, I almost called you something I've never called anyone before in my whole life. Then after that, when we were at the house, I almost suggested something twice only the people who are in that stage where they call them that would do. I'd never known what that feeling was like until I felt it with you.' She saw his smirk.

He knew all along, didn't he?

'I love you, Steve Rogers, damn it. Now if you don't kiss me—mrph.' Steve attacked her lips and kissed her. This was different. A kind where neither wanted to let go. And they would never again.

He pulled back. 'I like you too— Ow! I love you too.' She kneed his abdomen.

She smiled and pushed herself completely on top of him.

They heard a camera click.

'F*ck . . How much did you hear?'
'She said it first. You owe me $10, Barton.'

'Damn.' He slapped Steve's hand as he handed over his money.

'Now get out or I'll steal your hearing aids and throw them away.'

'Sorry. I'll leave.' When Natasha wasn't looking, Clint made a "suggestion" with his hands to Steve, who in turn showed another hand gesture, which only required one finger, and showed two words.

Right above their heads, the blue star gleamed more brighter than ever. Even the leaves were circling around them.