22: Absurd

Elizabeth showed Jack the letters from Beckett. You kicked Jamess lightly so he would pay attention as he scrubbed the floors.

Jack made a disgusted face at the letters.

"You were working for Beckett and never said anything." They turned to you.

"Did I forget to mention that?" You asked innocently. Jack frowned at you, obviously not pleased. "I didn't think it was that important." You pouted.

"He wants the chest," continued Mr. Gibbs.

It hit you. "If the company controls the chest, they control the sea."

"A truly discomforting notion, love." Jack pulled you closer and laid his chin on your shoulder.

"And bad," added Mr. Gibbs. "Bad for every mother's son who calls himself a pirate." he looked up. "I think there's a bit more speed to be coaxed from these sails. Brace the foreyard!"

You and Jack turned to Elizabeth. "Might I enquire as to how you came by these?"

"Persuasion," she replied.

"At gunpoint?" You said with a smile.

Jack let go of you and walked up to Elizabeth. "Will and Y/N strike a deal for these, yet you were the one with the prize. 'Full pardon. Commission as a privateer on behalf of England and the East India Trading Company'.As if I could be bought for such a low price."

"Jack, the letters, give them back," said Elizabeth.

"No." He paused and turned around. "Persuade me."

"You do know Will taught me how to handle a sword?"

"As I said, persuade me."

Elizabeth pressed her lips together and walked away. Maybe the tension was too much for her. Jack muffled a scoff.

You walked up to him, kissed him and took the letters, turning around so he couldn't take them back.

"That's not quite fair, love." He reached over you and tried getting them but you slapped him away. He tried your trick with the kiss but you interrupted him with:

"Don't you have other duties," you leaned in, "Captain." He smiled in defeat and walked away.

James looked at you, jealousy dancing in his eyes. You put away the letters in a hidden pocket. You both noticed Elizabeth smiling to herself. "A little crush?" you whispered to James.

"I believe so," he replied. You walked over to her. "It's a curious thing. There was a time when I looked like that when thinking about a certain someone." He looked at you and you frowned.

Elizabeth turned around. "I don't know what you mean."

"I think you do," you said.

"Oh don't be absurd." She was getting very worked up. "I trust him, that's all."

For the first time in a while you laughed with James. He turned to you, "Can I have a word?"

You nodded. "In a moment."

He walked away. You turned to Elizabeth. She asked, "Do you have something with Jack?"

"I trust him, that's all," you said teasingly. She gave a half-hearted laugh. "I do like him, I suppose, but I won't be jealous, I promise." It was true. You did find Jack attractive, hell, more than that, but you weren't the jealous type, you didn't own the man. Besides, Jack would easily change preference and go after Elizabeth. "But Will will be."

She looked down. You continued, "Lizzie, just follow your heart. I love Will, I really do, but you can't feel like you owe him."

She nodded and opened the compass. It pointed to Jack. "It could be a passing fancy." You nodded.

"We'll see."

You found James sitting on the stairs. He stood up. "Y/N, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry." You said nothing. "Can... Can you forgive me?"

You looked up at him. Could you? Of course, you can't hold on to grudges. "Yes." You could see the relief wash over him and you smiled. He hugged you. "Now, I believe we have a lot of catching up to do."

You spent a long time getting reacquainted with him. Nothing describes the feeling of reconnecting with an old friend. You laughed and remembered good times. The engagement never came up.

You spent the evening with Elizabeth. "Do you miss how our life used to be?"

"Sometimes," she answered. "We went from being top society to an average pirate."

"Average?" You said, laughing. "We are anything but."

"I do miss the simplicity but I would never go back."

You nodded. "Simplicity would be boring at this point." You looked out at the setting sun. Elizabeth said her good nights and she left. You, however, struggled with sleep. You watched the sun set alone and then looked out into the brightly light sky. You always loved the moon.

"It's almost a full moon." James walked up beside you. "I know how much you loved to paint them."

"So beautiful. So mysterious yet there for everyone to see." You smiled. James hugged you from behind and kissed the back of your head. You leaned back into his embrace. He just felt so comfortable and so familiar.

Sleep came over you and James noticed. He picked you up and took you to one of the hammocks where he laid you down and kissed your forehead. "Good night."

"Good night."