30: Brethren Court

You and Elizabeth walked into the court and heard Jack say, "and I'm content as a cucumber to wait until Sao Feng joins us."

"Sao Feng is dead," you said. They all turned to you. "He fell to the Flying Dutchman." You put your sword into a globe.

"He made you captain?" said Jack. "They're giving the bloody title away now, Mrs. Norrington."

"Miss Adney," you corrected, everything hurt right now. You turned to the court. "Our location has been betrayed." You tapped Jack's foot subtly. "Jones is under the command of Beckett. They're on their way here."

"Who is the betrayer?" asked one man.

"Not likely anyone among us," said Barbossa. Jack took your hand.

"Where's Will?" asked Elizabeth.

"Not among us," said Jack. He squeezed your hand.

"It matters not how they found us. The question is, will they do now that they have?" Barbossa made a good point.

"We fight," you said calmly. They laughed. You blushed a little, embarrassed. But fighting was what Beckett wanted, probably part of his deal with Jack. You just wanted this to end.

An older woman said, "Shipwreck Cove is a fortress. A well-supplied fortress. There is no need to fight if they cannot get to us."

"There be a third course," said Barbossa. "In another age, at this very spot, the first brethren court captured the sea goddess and bound her in her bones." They nodded. "That was a mistake." The entire room tensed. "Oh we tamed the seas for ourselves, aye. But opened the door for Beckett and his ilk."

You looked at Jack, you didn't want comfort from anyone else, he was your only friend that was far enough from your problems. Barbossa continued, "Better were the days when mastery of the seas came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures, but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. You all know this to be true. Gentlemen, ladies, we must free Calypso."

Everyone started clamoring and yelling. It was a little controversial. Just a little.

"Shoot him."

"Cut out his tongue!"

"Shoot him, cut out his tongue, then shoot the tongue. And trim the beard," contributed Jack. You rolled your eyes.

"Sao Feng would have agreed with Barbossa," said the first mate from your crew.

"As do I." you felt offended.

"Calypso was out enemy then, she will be our enemy now," argued one lord.

"It's unlikely her mood has improved," added another.

One took out his gun and said, "I would still agree with Sao Feng. We release Calypso."

"You threaten me?"

"I silence you." The gun was shot into the air and a man was slapped. They were all yelling. Stuff was being thrown.

"This is madness," said Elizabeth.

"This is politics," replied Jack. You would've laughed had you not felt so drained.

"Meanwhile our enemies are bearing down upon us," you said.

"If they're not here already," added Barbossa. How was he alive?

You held the music box Davy Jones had given you.

They fought on, throwing everything around like children. You looked at Barbossa with a bored look. "Time to wrap it up?"

He nodded, got onto the table and shot into the air. They paused and Barbossa said, "It was the First Brethren Court what imprisoned Calypso. We should be the ones to set her free. And in her gratitude, she will see fit to grant us boons."