Chapter 42

"Dream?"

"Yeah?" Dream said. It was late, but she was still lying in bed awake after the very eventful day. It was definitely unforgettable.

"What do you think is going to happen in January?" Chloe wondered aloud. "During the court case, I mean."

"This coming from the girl who was complaining that we were talking about Mrs. Woods and Francesca and all that stuff, too much," Dream teased.

"You aroused my interest," Chloe complained. "It's like when you're reading a mystery novel. In the beginning, you are allowed to stop. But once you get to the middle, there's no stopping. You just need to get to the end, somehow."

"Hm," Dream thought aloud.

"I should help you guys," Chloe said. "I've always wanted to be a detective."

Dream snorted. "Testifying against a teacher in court hardly counts as being a detective."

"Humph," Chloe said, sounding indignant. "It's still going to be helpful though, to you guys. Right?"

"I guess, yeah," Dream said, wondering what difference Chloe would make. After all, she barely knew anything, and until a few hours ago, she was completely uninterested.

So, she couldn't help that much, even if she wanted to.

Right?

---

"WAKE UP!!"

"Mmmph," Dream opened her eyes to see Chloe's face. "What?" she groaned.

"Wake up!" Chloe said giddily.

"Why," she turned around. "It's so early, and we're on vacation right now."

"Um, because it's Christmas, duh."

"Oh. Right." Dream got up, rubbing her eyes. The day before was so hectic she had completely forgotten it had been Christmas Eve.

"Get ready alreadyyy," Chloe whined.

Dream glared at her. "You're annoying. Have I ever told you you were super annoying? You're the most annoying person I know."

"Okay," Chloe grinned. "That means my plan to be annoying is working."

"What plan?" Dream narrowed her eyes.

"Operation Annoy-Dream, duh."

Dream rolled her eyes. "You're weird."

"Okay!"

Sighing, Dream grabbed her snowsuit and boots and made her way to the bathroom, grudgingly taking off her favorite furry pajama pants.

As she slipped on the snowsuit, she heard a loud blast of music coming from the room.

"They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye!"

And then, Chloe's voice saying, "DREAM! Your phone is ringing!", a snicker, then, "You still have Hannah Montana as your ringtone?"

"I like Hannah Montana, sue me," Dream grumbled, as her phone continued to play,

"Thought the chances to meet somebody like you were a million to one, you're one in a million...whoa..."

"I'll answer it," Chloe said.

"Wait, no!" Dream said. "I'm almost there, just give me a second."

"Ugh," Chloe groaned.

"You're one in a million...All this time I was looking for love, trying to make things work that weren't good enough..."

"HOW MUCH LONGER DO I HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS?!" Chloe grumbled.

"I'll be right there, geez woman."

"Till I thought I'm through, said I'm done, and stumbled into the arms of the one..."

Dream, as quickly as she could wearing a snowsuit, tried to open the door, but it was stuck. "Ugh," she thought, trying to open it.

"You're making me laugh, about the silliest stuff, say that I'm your diamond in the rough..."

Dream tried to open the door, but at best, successfully pulled off the handle.

"What. The. Freak!"

"Please hurry up, my ears are bleeding," Chloe moaned.

"When I'm mad at you, you come with your velvet touch..."

"Only one thing left to do then," Dream said, taking a step back, before ramming her shoulder into the door. "Ow," she winced. The door stayed put.

"Can't believe that I'm so lucky, I have never felt so happy, every time I see that sparkle in your eyes..."

"Hannah Montana is so annoying, 'eyes' is legit one syllable, who the heck needs to hold it for three hours," Chloe said. "Here, or you could just open the door this way," she opened the door from the outside.

"Oh. That would have been so much easier," Dream said, coming out of the bathroom, holding her right shoulder with her left hand.

"They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye!"

"I'll get ice for that," Chloe said, "And you, please shut your phone up. Please, please, please..."

"You listen to Miley Cyrus all the time, what's the difference," Dream shrugged.

"Whatever," Chloe mumbled, leaving the room in a hurry to get the music out of her ears.

Dream looked at her phone, frowning when she saw it was an unknown number. But she answered her phone anyway. "Hello?"

Marc's voice came from the other end. "Dream, you need to get out of there. Fast."

"Huh? What? Why?"

"And take your friends with you. There's no time left to lose."

"What do you mean?"

"Your lives are in danger. Just, leave. Don't even care about your stuff. Your lives are the most important things right now."

"Wait, Marc!"

"Just leave!!"

With that, he hung up.

There was only one thought in Dream's mind, as she hurriedly ran out of her room to warn her friends.

There was only one logical explanation if their lives were all suddenly put in danger.

Fatima.

---

A/N

Extremely on-time chapter today! Yay! :)

Was half of this chapter me listening to "One in a Million" and writing down the lyrics? Yep...

Was the other half of this chapter weird best friend convos between Dream and Chloe? Yep...

Did you guys enjoy the chapter though? I have no idea lol! I'm curious to hear your thoughts. What do you guys think is going to happen next? 

Please vote, comment, and share, thank you so much!! xx

Next update: Monday ;)

💙, Stella Rose