Chapter 17

"I'm confused," Zac said. "And on so many levels. You can be nice, but you choose not to. Why? Also, you know the guy who kidnapped me and Dream. How? You seem to know him quite well, too. And, he was so much bigger and definitely stronger than you. So how did you fight him? You wrote the note, didn't you? How come you can ask us to not come to detention?"

"Yeah," Dream chimed in. "It's really weird. I went to the classroom and the teacher said my name wasn't on the list for detention today. Neither was Zac's. What gives you the power to waive our detention?"

Francesca sniffed, annoyed. "You guys talk a lot, don't you?"

Dream huffed. "Well?"

"I don't know anything about any stupid note, okay?" Francesca said. "And I owe you guys no explanations. I'm dropping you off at school and you guys better watch your backs. This is the last time I'm doing anything for anyone."

The rest of the car ride was awkward and silent. Francesca pulled up to the school, and motioned for Dream and Zac to get out.

"That was definitely awkward," Zac muttered under his breath.

"You can say that again," Dream said.

"Well," Zac scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "What are you going to do now?"

"Probably go home," Dream said. "It's around six right now, which is usually when my detention ends."

"Good point," Zac said. "I'll come with you."

---

"Good, you're home," Dream's dad said cheerily. "I have some news for you."

"We'd better not be moving again," Dream said, taking a sip of water.

"No, no, no. We're not moving. I'm getting married!"

Dream spit out all the water she just drank. "Say WHAT?!"

"I know this may seem sudden for you, but trust me," he said, "This is something I've thought over for several years now."

Several years? But "several" years ago we were living in Europe!

"What do you mean?" Dream said slowly.

"Dream, your mother died when you were very young. Do you remember her?"

"Well..." Dream admitted. "Not really. She died before my second birthday. We have pictures of her though."

"Yes," her dad said. "And in the past thirteen years since her death, you've grown into a fine young woman. But you've always missed having a mother figure in your life."

"I'm fine," Dream snapped. "I've always been fine. In fact, I've never been more fine in my entire life. Why do you need to do this?"

"I still think it's good for you to have another parental figure in your life," her dad argued, "I recently got engaged to Ava, and she's moving in with us. You'll like her, I promise."

"That's a big promise you're making," Dream glared at him angrily.

"Oh! You must be Dream!" a woman who looked like she was in her mid to late thirties walked in, seeing Dream. She was rather pretty, with long brown hair and big green eyes. She wasn't like those women who piled on makeup like their face was a canvas. But she looked good nonetheless. "I'm Ava, it's so good to meet you," she gushed. "Your father has told me so much about you."

"My father has told me nothing about you," Dream said.

"Really? In the three years we've dated--"