Chapter 2

"Excuse me," Dream said, tapping the shoulder of a random girl. The girl whirled around menacingly.

"Don't touch me," she snarled, revealing two rows of perfect white teeth. Or, it would be perfect, except there were what seemed to be fangs in her mouth. Or, was that only in Dream's imagination? Dressed in a pink baby doll dress, her black hair was curled and her makeup was done to perfection. She had an unnaturally pale complexion. Above all, she looked fake, like a plastic doll.

Dream took a step back, slightly intimidated, and bumped into another girl behind her.

"Oh!" Dream said, embarrassed.

"That's okay," the girl Dream bumped into said. "I'm Savannah. You must be new," she said, sticking out her hand.

"Thanks," Dream said, shaking Savannah's hand. "I'm Dream. Do you know where the office is?"

"Right that way," Savannah pointed to their right. "I can walk you there, if you want."

"That would be great," Dream said thankfully.

"That girl was Francesca," Savannah said as they walked to the office. "Don't mess with her. If you can, stay as far away from her as you can. She's been mean and nasty since kindergarten." Savannah shuddered. "Don't be fooled by her innocent face."

Dream nodded, agreeing.

"Right here," Savannah said. "Mrs. Smith will give you your schedule. I'll see you if we have any classes together!" Savannah said, waving before turning around and leaving.

Dream turned to the lady behind the desk.

"What is your name?" the lady asked.

"Dream Cadison," Dream answered.

The lady nodded before searching through her files. "Ah! Right here," she said. "Here's your schedule and locker combination. Your first class starts in five minutes, so you'd better run."

"O-okay," Dream said.

Wow, I can't wait, she thought sarcastically. This place is huge!

---

Dream stumbled into the classroom at 6:58.

"Miss, I see you're just on time," the teacher snapped. "Hurry up and get to your assigned seat."

There are assigned seats? Dream frowned, feeling the least bit of comfort when she saw that her seat was in the back row.

"From now on," the teacher continued. "If any of you are not at least five minutes early, that will result in a week of detention."

What? Dream thought.

"As we wait for our last student to come to class, I will introduce myself. My name is Mrs. Woods. I've been a teacher here at Pebblebrook Creek High School for seventeen years."

The last student entered the room, breathing heavily.

"Young man," Mrs. Woods said, looking at the clock. "You are ten seconds late."

"I'm sorry," he said. "I couldn't find the classroom."

"Well that's too bad, isn't it," Mrs. Woods said. "I'll let you off easy this time. One day of detention."

The boy frowned.

"Why are you still standing there?" Mrs. Woods barked. "Take your assigned seat!"

"Um...okay," he said, sitting down next to Dream.

"She's really strict," he whispered to her.

Despite herself, Dream smiled slightly. "Yeah, she is."

"I'm Zac," he said.

"Dream," Dream said.

Zac chuckled. "It's nice of you to think I'm a dream, but trust me, I'm not that perfect."

"No, I mean," Dream said, turning slightly red. "My name is Dream."

"Oh," Zac laughed. "It's nice to meet you."

"No talking in class!" Mrs. Woods snapped. She looked at her seating chart. "Dream Cadison and Zac Tyler, you two have a week of detention."

"What?" Dream said.

"Would you like more detention, Ms. Cadison?" Mrs. Woods said angrily.

Dream shook her head, sighing.

"Then I will now go over some ground rules. You all know not to be late. Also, there will be no talking in class. No passing notes. No bathroom breaks. No chewing gum on the school campus. No hoods or hats allowed. No saying any word that is considered profane in any way. Notes are required for every single word I say. I will collect and go through all your notes after class. And all your phones will be collected and put in this basket," Mrs. Woods gestured to a basket on her desk, "And you will not get them back until the end of the class. Breaking any of these rules will result in detention"

Grumbling, all the students handed their phones to Mrs. Woods.

"Good. Now, class will begin."