Chapter 1

"Welcome to Brooklyn, New York. Right now the weather is 77 degrees Fahrenheit with a 45 percent humidity."

Dream sighed as the pilot continued talking. A new place, a new life. This time in the bustling city of New York. She couldn't think of a single year in her entire life when her family hadn't moved at least once. Her father's company couldn't seem to keep him in the same place for long before relocating him again. Each time, he promised her that they were staying for good. Dream stopped believing him when they moved for the twelfth time when she was eight.

"Thank you for flying with Atlantic Air."

Dream unbuckled her seat belt, grabbing her backpack and standing up with a huff.

"You're not too upset, are you?" Dream's dad asked, looking at her.

"No, of course not," Dream lied. "Why would I be upset?"

He sighed. "What's wrong? You seem so unhappy today."

"I guess..." Dream didn't really know what to say. "Miami was the first place I ever made a friend. I was stupid to think it all would last."

"I'm sorry." Her dad gave her a hug. "I know you miss Chloe. But my job needs me to move. I promise this time, we're here to stay."

Dream bit her lip as her dad got their bags from the overhead compartments. Chloe was the only friend she'd ever had. The two girls were both new students on the first day of school, and they quickly became friends and began to hang out. But of course, one year later, Dream's dad was relocated again. At least she still had Chloe's number, and she could still text her.

Dream: Just got to Brooklyn.

Chloe responded almost immediately.

Chloe: Aww I miss you already!

Chloe: How was your flight?

Dream: It was okay. Shorter than most.

Dream remembered the time she moved from France to Australia. There were a few years when she and her dad lived all over Europe.

Chloe: Is it hot there?

Dream: Can't tell yet.

Dream: Haven't got off the plane.

Chloe: Okay! Tell me more later!

Dream: I will!

---

Dream plopped down onto her bed, staring at the ceiling. The new apartment was okay, but slightly small. There were two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, and a kitchen. Although, it still appeared spacious because of the minimal furniture. And the balcony, which could be accessed from the living room or her dad's room, was nice too.

Dream did have one complaint though. They were on the tenth floor, so naturally she expected a nicer view. But instead, the only thing she saw when she looked out the window of her room was right into the window of the room of the apartment across from hers.

"You doing okay?" her dad asked, entering her bedroom.

Dream shrugged. "I guess." She didn't really feel like talking to him at the moment. She really wished he could have done something to keep them in Miami, but as it was, he started packing that very day he was told he would have to relocate again.

He gestured to the large pile of boxes on the ground. "You should probably start moving in. I've already organized my room."

"Can you help me?" Dream said, standing up.

"Sorry, honey. I have a lot of work. I really need to get started, otherwise I won't be able to drive you to school tomorrow."

Dream sighed bitterly as he left the room. Everything revolved around his work. Her dad's life revolved around his work. Her entire life revolved around his work.

If she could get him a new job, she'd do it in a heartbeat. But she couldn't. He loved it too much, and she didn't want to break his heart by telling him how she felt.

And it didn't exactly matter how much work he did today. She knew in her heart that no matter how much he worked, there was always going to be more.

There was no way he was going to have time to drive her to school tomorrow morning. Or any morning, for that matter.

She stood up and began to unpack the boxes. It was going to be a long day.