Chapter Forty

Krell stood in the doorway with all of his arms crossed over his chest. " Captain, I thought I told you to stay out of trouble." 

" Well, I have a tenancy to not always follow orders, you know that better than anyone." Rex couldn't help but smile when a grimace appeared across the Besalisk's lips.

" Take him back to his cell. Make sure he doesn't escape again." Sidious said to fellow dark side user. " Oh and Krell, you're more than welcome to punish him." he glanced at the now nervous Captain as Krell dragged him back to the hold.

Rex stumbled when his captor pushed him forward back into the place that he just recently escaped from.

" I'm growing quite tired of your outburst, clone."

" Then just let me go and you won't have to deal with me anymore." the Captain snapped.

He should have seen it coming. After Palpatine's brief words before they left. One of the larger creature's fists slammed into his abdomen. An audible crack rang out causing him to gasp for air. Something cold and hard came in contact with his head. It temporarily dazed him. Krell towered above him with one of his lightsabers in his hand. 

" You have no idea how bad I want to kill you Captain." he struck the injured man again and again, until he was laying almost motionlessly on the ground. " Try to escape again and it won't be you who gets hurt." 

That caught Rex's attention, even in his state. He wouldn't let him hurt his cyar'ika, even if his life depended on it. He had placed all his hope of ever going back to Coruscant alive in that one comm call. Ahsoka was here at least. Though he wished she would leave and save the rest of his brothers before it was too late. At least Krell didn't know that she had snuck down to see him.

Rex slowly and carefully pulled himself up from the ground and propped himself against the wall. Some of his ribs were definitely broken. It hurt like hell to breathe. He realized the situation he was in wasn't getting any better.

" Soka, I know you're doing the best you can up there. I'm sorry I pushed you away. In case things go wrong...I love you more than you'll ever know." he said just above a whisper. He sighed, letting his tired eyelids fall.

     Ahsoka felt as if she were going insane. She needed Anakin to hurry up.

" He'll get here Commander. It takes awhile ya know." Kix said reading her stress. He sat back down. It wasn't that he wasn't worried too. Rex was one of his brothers for kriff sakes. All of his training never prepared him for this type of situation, which made him feel...useless.

" I just-I don't like standing around when there's something we could be doing." she exasperated. 

" You and me both Commander, but we don't want to make anything worse. You said General Krell was down there. He wanted Rex before, so it must be serious. One wrong move and it could be over for all of us."

Ahsoka thought back to the chips. Could that be what they wanted Rex for? Experiments for a better control chip? That was all the more reason for her to worry. What if he died? No, she couldn't bear to think like that.

" Kix, if these inhibitor chips are in all the clones, then how are we going to stop them when they are activated?"

Kix had thought about that, though he never came to a solution. There were millions of clones and more being made everyday. It wasn't possible to take every single one out. " I honestly have no clue. I guess start with all the Jedi's legions. That makes the most sense." he stated.

" I can't believe this is happening. We were all being played from the start. How did none of us see it." Ahsoka sighed, her voice dropping quieter, still trying to except the reality of what was going on. She never imagined anything like this. It was all so horrible. So evil, then again, it was war.

Her comm snapped her out of her trance when it began buzzing.

" Ahsoka, we're nearing the planet's atmosphere." Anakin said.

" Great, I'll meet you outside." she turned to Kix, he nodded already knowing what was on her mind.

" I'll stay here and make sure no one comes in or goes out." Ahsoka smiled at her friend. 

" Thank you, Kix." she reached to her belt and tossed her lightsaber to him. He caught it and was shocked.

" Uhh, won't you need this?" 

" Not right now. I want you to keep it...if something goes wrong, you know as a last line of defense."

" Right, hopefully I won't need to use it." he chuckled at the thought of himself using a Jedi's weapon. 

     Ahsoka dashed down the hall. She passed a few clones, luckily there weren't too many roaming at the time. She didn't even know that time it was. She headed straight for the exit when she suddenly felt a wave of pain.

 " Soka"

" Rex?!" she leaned on the door frame. How was he doing this?

 "I know you're doing the best you can up there. I'm sorry I pushed you away. In case things go wrong" 

It was like Umbara all over again. The heartbreaking messages. The ones that made her want to cry.

"...I love you more than you'll ever know."

Happy Friday!! I'm so glad it's the weekend. I'm so ready for school to end, but I still have quite a while til that day comes:(

-Chopper457 🧡💙🤍