Chapter Fifty

Cody was close enough to the explosion to hear Kix mumble three words that made his blood run cold.

" What do you mean, 'Rex please, no?' " he took his helmet off to look his brother in the eyes.

" There's a space under the building that only the Kaminoans know of." Kix explained frantically to the Jedi and Commander. " He-the explosion-it came from under us...where Rex was." 

Cody could feel his soul leave his body. He didn't even flinch at the sound of his bucket hitting the ground.

" Cody?" Obi Wan asked him in a soft voice. " I'm sorry for your loss. Rex was a great soldier, and I can tell he had a big impact on you." he bowed his head paying his respects to the fallen Captain.

Cody sighed, bringing himself back together the best he could. " He was a vod. He didn't deserve any of this." he said placing his helmet back on so no one could see his hurt expression.

Kix stayed silent. He couldn't wrap his head around Rex's death. Something didn't feel right. He had to make sure for himself that he was really gone.

" Sir?" he turned the General. " I know it's a long shot, but..." Obi Wan understood what he was going to ask.

" Yes, we can go and check out the destruction." he finished for him.

Kix gave him a grateful look.

     Kix lead them to the room where he had met Rex, and the last place where he ever saw him. He walked over to the entrance in the ground. He slid down the ladder with the General and Cody following close behind. The whole tunnel had collapsed and left nothing but debris.

" This is the place." he said quietly.

" There's no way anyone could have survived this." Cody shook his head continuing to sweep whatever space was clear enough. That's when he saw the Jaig eye markings. His heart sunk for the second time that day. He bent own and picked it up. Half of it was missing with the other half covered in scrapes and soot.

" Oh Rex, I am so sorry brother." he pressed his forehead to the cool surface, letting everything that happened sink in.

Kix saw something familiar out of the corner of his eye. He didn't want it to be true. His hands trembled as he held the piece of metal in his hands.

" Not you too kid." Kix felt a sadness he hadn't felt in a long time. First one of his closest brothers and now his only vod'ika. He regretted handing General Kenobi the lightsaber. His face completely fell. Kix had never seen him so distraught.

" I have failed you Ahsoka." Obi Wan said barely audible. He clenched his grandpadawan's saber. 

Sorry it's a bit shorter. I'm on Spring break and won't be in town next week so updates will be back to normal after that. Dig.

-Chopper457 🧡💙🤍