Chapter Ten

Rex turned back to the men who were with him at the moment. " We've got to move before those fighters come back!"

No matter how hard they fought they were no match for the Umbarans. Clones were scattered across the battlefield both dead and severely injured.

" Kix, get the wounded!" Rex hollered to the medic. They were pinned down, forced to defend against the forest teeming with the enemy.

Krell stood behind a tree spectating when his comm went off.

" The Capital city is too fortified, we need your battalion to help us take it," Obi Wan said through the hologram.

" Resistance from the Umbarans has been greater than anticipated. We're holding our ground at the moment."

" We've gathered intel that there is an airbase to the west. It is resupplying the capital's defenses."

A large explosion went off too close to them for Rex's liking. He found himself drifting towards Krell. He was able to hear what Obi Wan was telling him to do.

" If you can capture that airbase then it will sever the capital's supply lines. Allowing the rest of our forces to move in."

" I'll see to it that the airbase is placed under our control," Krell responded before hanging up.

" Captain, have the troops ready to move out," he ordered, snubbing past him.

The troops walked miles once more until they came to their destination .

" We'll engage them in a full forward assault," Krell ordered, gazing at the airbase that stood above the woods.

Rex pulled out his portable scanner. There was no way that they were going to be successful following Krell's idea.

" Sir, the path is too narrow. We'll only be able to move our platoons in single squads," Rex informed

" There's no time. You will do as I say Captain," Krell hissed.

With no other way to answer Rex had to go along with it.

" Yes, sir."

     The clones marched down to the path leading to the airbase.

" Alright, we'll assemble a squad into two divisions. We'll move straight up the gorge towards the airbase on the far side." Rex repeated Krell's dangerous plan.

" The casualties are going to be high," Kix pointed out.

" Yeah, you know I wasn't sure if Krell was crazy before, but now I'm positive," Jesse voiced.

" We had to retreat from the capital because of the general's flawed strategy, now this?" Fives asked angrily.

Everyone but Dogma chattered in agreement.

" A few of General Skywalker's plans seemed reckless too, but they weren't," Rex started.

" Yes but General Skywalker is usually leading up in the front, not bringing up the rear like Krell," Fives argued.

Rex knew Fives was right, but they just needed to hang in there a while longer.

" Fives, a word?" He gestured with head over to the side.

" Look i'm not saying that it's a good strategy, but there's no other option."

" Sir, if we go through with this, there's a good chance we won't survive."

" I know, I know, but we have to do this whether we like it or not."

" But have you seen his casualty numbers? More troopers have died under his command than anyone else. "

" That's the price of war Fives. We're soldiers. We have a duty to follow orders and if we must lay down our lives for victory," Rex reminded him.

Fives grimaced then looked up at his brother.

" Is that what Ahsoka would want you to do, huh? Would she want you to die by blindly following Krell's stupid plan. Rex, you're better than this!" Fives said loudly.

Rex couldn't help but think about how Fives was a hundred percent correct.

" You're right. I owe her that much, but then what do you suppose we do?"

Fives grinned. " I have an idea." 

Currently working on another chapter. It should be published in about an hour or so. Surprise!

Love,

-Chopper457