Chapter Seventy-Nine

Rex ran a hand down his face as he approached the barracks. He didn't think that things could get worse than they already were, but he was wrong. On top of that it was probably his force ability that made him the target. Even if the bounty hunter were to mistake another clone for him, there was no saying what they would to do that clone once they figured it wasn't him.

The tired captain let himself in.

" Hey, Hardcase." the blonde waved his hand at his hyperactive brother.

" Captain. Wow, I can't believe you managed to survive the general." he laughed loudly.

Rex managed a chuckle. " I couldn't believe it either. You know where Tup is?"

" Uh, I think he's still trying to fix that broken bunk."

" Thanks." Rex nodded and went to find his younger brother.

Sure enough, Tup was on the ground, his body half under the bed with lots of tools spread around him.

" How's it going, Tup?" Rex asked, kneeling down beside him.

" Oh, hey Captain." the younger clone slid out. " I heard that General Skywalker chased you throughout the city."

Rex rolled his eyes jokingly. " Seems that's all everyone can talk about now, huh."

" You have no idea, sir." Tup handed him a screwdriver. " I haven't gotten too far. I think we'll have to take the whole bottom off and start from scratch."

Rex started his job of loosening the screws.

Tup glanced up at his brother whose face had anxiety written all over it. Other times, he wouldn't dare ask the captain about his feelings..but seeing that the war was over, the rankings among the clones, though still there, weren't the most important thing anymore.

" Is something on your mind, sir?"

Rex seemed to have zoned out, shaking his head at the sudden voice.

" Wha-oh, yeah. It's..it's nothing Tup." as expected the older vod brushed off the question.

" Rex, I know that face almost as well as everyone to ever know you does. What's wrong?" Tup placed the tool in his hand on the ground.

Rex put all his focus on his task, ignoring the younger clone for a moment.

Tup sighed, turning back to what he was doing.

" Is it bad to be different after thinking there was nothing special about you your whole life?"

Tup stopped for a second. Was that what was on his mind the whole time?

" No, of course not. For a clone, I'd say that's pretty cool, considering we clones all look alike, talk alike...it should be something you're proud of." he said his words carefully, not knowing how the captain would take them.

Rex listened, thinking about the answer before continuing. " What if..that certain trait isn't one you're sure of. One that could change everyone's view of you?"

Tup shuffled out from under the broken bunk, looking at his brother's face trying to uncover something that he was missing.

" We're all vods, Rex. Nothing will ever change that. No matter what happens, or what you do or what you go through, we will always support and be there for you."

Rex played with the screws in his hand. " I need to tell you something then."

" Whatever it is, sir, I promise I won't think of you differently." the young clone's words comforted.

Rex looked his brother in the eyes. " Tup, I'm force sensitive."