Chapter Eighty-Three

Jesse stared at the screen for what felt like hours. He couldn't comprehend how their Captain- who he had grown up with since the start- was just like the Jedi. Did he really keep the information to himself all this time? Or did he just find out? Either way, he knew that he was definitely going to confront him about their new findings.

" Jesse, what're you thinking about?" Fives tapped him on the shoulder.

" I'm just, just surprised," he said, turning off the datapad. " I can't believe that he would hide something as important from us as this."

" I'm sure he had his reasons," Fives said. " Knowing Rex he would be a little cautious about telling us, especially since it's causing him to have a bounty over his head."

" Is he even one of us?" Jesse didn't mean to ask the question out loud, but it was too late to take his words back.

" How could you say that?" Fives' jaw tightened. " Of course he's one of us. It doesn't matter that he's force sensitive, he's still out vod," he ended sternly.

" Yeah, you're right, it's just...A lot to take in right now." He stood up and turned the lights off, opening the door back to the beds.

" We'll discuss this in the morning. I think we've learned enough for tonight," he forced out a yawn to indicate that he was tired.

" Sure, night Jess." Fives passed him, returning down the halls and to his bunk. Jesse, following shortly after.

     Rex turned over in bed. His dreams were plagued with nightmares, making it impossible to sleep anymore. He grumbled softly as he carefully got out of bed so as to not wake the peacefully sleeping Togruta next to him. He gently pulled the covers back over her and slipped out of his room.

He walked down the hall to the front entrance, trying ever so hard not to be too loud when opening the doors. His brothers were a few feet away and he did not feel like talking to anyone at the time.

Rex stepped out into the crisp night air and began to stroll down the sidewalk until he was overlooking the city. He rested his forearms over the railing and watched as the night's traffic began to fizzle out.

He didn't know how long he had been standing there when the sound of footsteps were heard walking towards him. Without his blaster, Rex started to feel nervous. He ever so slightly turned his foot out and re-positioned his arm.

He looked over his shoulder, seeing a man wearing similar blacks with a Republic logo tattooed over his face.

" Oh, it's just you," he sighed, " I thought you were someone else." He has half expected the person he saw back in the cantina, but that might have just been his previous dreams making him paranoid.

" And who would that be?" Jesse asked, taking the spot next to him.

" It's not important. What's wrong? Why are you up?"

Jesse gazed out like Rex was doing moments before. " I could ask you the same thing," his reply had a hint of annoyance and sarcasm in it.

" I asked first," Rex said carefully, not knowing exactly what his brother's intentions were.

Jesse shrugged. " I heard the door close and went to check it out. Found you and here we are. Now it's your turn."

" Nightmares."

" About...Bounty Hunters?" Jesse asked slowly, but his tone was more telling than questioning.

Rex nearly got whiplash from how fast he turned his neck.

" What?"

" When Fives and I were coming back from the store, we got attacked by a sniper. I got lucky and shot 'em. They dropped a datapad and we found out why they were shooting," Jesse explained

" So you know?"

" Why didn't you tell any of us?"

" I thought you would treat me differently. It's stupid, but that's all that has been going through my head," Rex admitted.

" Rex," Jesse took a deep breath, " I would never abandon you for that reason." He gripped his brother's forearm.

" I know," Rex returned the gesture.

     " I see him," he whispered into the comm, " I could easily take him now and get it done with."

" No, leave him be for now. There are at least three Jedi on that planet. You won't make it far. I have a much better idea."

" Fine, but the next time he's alone, I'm going for it or you will lose my business." the stranger tucked his blaster back on his belt, disappearing into the shadows.

Hey guys, I'm back. Sorry for the wait. Updates will continue as scheduled, Tuesdays and Fridays again:D

Happy Tuesday!

-Chopper457 💙🧡🤍