Chapter Twenty-Seven

" General Skywalker?"

Anakin held the blade closer to Rex's neck, " Stand down Rex!"

Rex could feel the saber's heat starting to burn his skin.

" Master." Ahsoka tried to push his arm that was in front of her away, but he held it firmly in place.

" General, what's going on?" Rex asked, clearly confused.

" You know exactly what's going on," Anakin hissed back, refusing to take his saber away.

Ahsoka ducked under his arm and stood protectively beside Rex, " Anakin, get that out of his face!"

" Ahsoka, get away from him!" he roared.

" Sir please-"

" NO REX. YOU TRIED TO KILL MY PADAWAN!" Anakin pointed to the dint in the wall.

Rex was horrified. He couldn't have. " No, I would never try and..." The memories started to flash back at once. He could feel his hands starting to tremble. He tried so hard to ignore it, but it was too strong. Ahsoka's terrified expression as he raised his pistols to her face.

Rex reached out and touched her hand, " Did I really?"

Ahsoka didn't answer. If she did he would feel worse than he already did. Besides, it wasn't his fault.

Anakin jerked Ahsoka back towards him, " Don't touch her, Captain."

Rex swung his legs over the side of the bed and rose to his feet. Anakin didn't once let his gaze off him. Rex advanced closer to them, careful not to provoke the general more than he already did.

" General, I swear I didn't mean to. It was like...like I didn't have any control over my mind. I would never try to hurt her. EVER!" he yelled at Anakin.

Ahsoka looked up at him with pleading eyes, " Master, please."

Anakin deactivated his lightsaber. He hesitated, but took a step to the side letting Rex near Ahsoka, " Sorry," he apologized to him, " I should have known better. You're far too loyal to turn just like that."

Rex nodded to him.

" What happened?" Ahsoka asked.

Rex started pacing, recalling everything that happened prior to attacking Ahsoka.

" I felt lightheaded at first, then my mind went blank. Everything I knew was replaced by a voice shouting...shouting for me to kill the Jedi. It came out of nowhere. One moment I was about to go get breakfast, the next I was trying to kill Ahs-er the Commander."

" He knows," Ahsoka said, giving him a small smile.

" Rex, what do you think made you want to kill Ahsoka?" Anakin finally asked.

" My guess is Krell. He took me to that medical bay as soon as we got there. It's a bit fuzzy, but I remember one of the droids telling me about it," Rex paused. He couldn't talk anymore, " telling me about a..."

The chip. It has to be the chip.

His mind started racing. That feeling he got just before he lost control came back.

My blasters.

Rex searched the room for his pistols. He found that they had been moved to the bedside table. He quickly grabbed them and held one of them to his head.

" Rex, drop it! What are you doing?!" Ahsoka yelled. Was he trying to kill himself? Did he really feel that guilty? She believed him. He should know that.

" No, stay back." His hands were trembling again, this time however he knew no one would get hurt.

Anakin was scared now, " Rex, I'm ordering you to drop your blasters. NOW!"

" I can't do that, General." His finger brushed over the trigger.

" Please, don't do this," Ahsoka begged.

Rex closed his eyes, letting the darkness take over his vision.