Chapter Sixty-Five

Rex felt a wave of nauseousness overwhelm him all of a sudden. The all too familiar clone stepped into the cell alone, signaling the two troopers to stand guard outside.

"C-Cody?"

"CT-7567. CT-5597. There has been a change in plans. You shall not be terminated quite yet." His voice was very robotic like, even for him.

"Cody, please. You have to snap out of it. It's the inhibitor chip," Rex pleaded. A small part of him was hoping he would listen and drop the act.

"Shut up!" Cody snapped, making both troopers flinch. Rex, however, could see hesitation in his demeanor.

Jesse peered behind the commander at the two clones adjusting something to the top of the cell entrance. Cody picked up on his gaze and let out a huff of amusement.

"I see you've spotted our little trap."

Rex and Jesse exchanged glances, both not following.

"Don't worry, everything will make sense when the Jedi come. For the meantime, we should talk about why you betrayed the Republic, brothers."

"Better than death," Jesse said under his breath to Rex as the guards came in and held them in place.

"You always were the optimist," Rex grumbled back.

     "What! What happened?" Ahsoka let Fives take over the chip removal process as she talked to her master.

"They were making a distraction so I could sneak into maintenance. When I came back up, they were surrounded by troops and taken away. They're being held in the brig at the moment." Anakin watched as his student's face crumpled into concern, "but hey, we know where they are so-"

"Why would they be taken. Didn't the order state for anyone who disobeyed to be executed?" Ahsoka interrupted.

"I don't know. I was going to follow them, but I thought it would be smarter to get you first. Now that we have more clones on our side, it should be easier for us to regain control." he waited for her to respond to his reasoning.

Ahsoka didn't like it. Something was off. There would be no reason to capture two clones. It had to be a trap, but her feelings cancelled out her thoughts. Rex and Jesse were in danger. She wasn't about to lose Rex again. She wouldn't let herself choose that possible path. No matter what the voice of reason was telling her, she had to get them back.

"Okay, let's go." She looked at Fives. He understood her worries and wasted no time giving an assuring nod.

"I got it Commander. Kix should be waking up soon. Besides, I got Tup." The ARC motioned over the younger trooper who was standing patiently next to Anakin.

"Thank you Fives. You too Tup." Ahsoka smiled at her friends before taking off to retrieve her d'bhem.

     Jesse grunted as the butt of the blaster hit his head enough to break the skin. They had been getting tossed around for a rough twenty minutes, yet it felt like a whole rotation. No one had come yet. He was starting to lose hope that anyone would.

Rex wanted to be mad, but he couldn't. How could he be angry towards someone who wasn't in control of their own actions and thoughts. His eyes stung from the blood drop that was beginning to roll down from a cut he received.

"You're lucky I can't kill you," Cody sneered, his eyes full of rage for someone who was usually so calm and collected. It was hard for Rex to see his ori'vod — the one who protected him on Kamino— finding joy in hurting them.

"You couldn't even if you wanted to," Rex spat. The Commander didn't seem to like his answer, but he wasn't ready for the punch to the face. He grimaced at the small burning sensation in his jaw. He would have a nice bruise after while in the shape of a fist.

"Don't tempt me." Cody pointed to the object that the other troopers had installed. "See that, that can stop any Jedi right in their tracks." He chuckled, giving Rex a pitiful look. "It's what's going to kill that traitor you're in love with."

Rex shook his head. "She's smarter than you think," he said dangerously, glaring menacingly at his brother.

"Come on Rex, we both know you're her weakness." He folded his hands behind his back, "And that's exactly how she's gonna fall."

I feel that all weeks are longer now that we have to wait until Friday for the Bad Batch. I need more Omega and Hunter moments.

I hope everyone had a great day. Happy Tuesday!