Prologue

TW- RAPE

PLEASE IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFY SKIP THIS CHAPTER BUT THIS IS SIGNIFICANT TO THE LEAD UP OF THE STORYLINE SO EVERYTHING WILL MAKE SENSE.

9:53pm

7 more minutes until we finish this maths exam and when I'm a free woman.

Flipping through the maths paper, I observed all my answers and double-checked to make sure I haven't missed out on any question and showing out my methods, as they say, you get more marks for working out, and I aim to get a B*, don't get me wrong I could get an A but I'm just being realistic.

I closed my paper and looked back on the clock.

9:58pm

Time was flying by as I put my head down letting my thoughts consume me. I'm about to be a free woman. I'm going to graduate. What do I want to become? Oh shit, I don't have a plan. Coming from an African household, telling them you have no plan is like saying I want to die because they expect you to have your life prepared, they want doctors, lawyers, engineers. They want us to be the best because they never had that opportunity. My father was Nigerian, I say was because well, he died. My mother is Puerto Rican, So I'm blessed to come from both countries and to have a bit of Spanish roll down my tongue though I'm not fluent enough. I wanted to learn Yoruba but my father always told me "when the time is right" I guess that time never came because, after that night, he died on his deathbed.

So being a black woman, I had expectations to meet however I didn't let that control me because I just wanted to live.

I'm here to live a good life, not a long life.

The bell knocked me out of my thoughts and people started to stand leaving their test papers for the administers to collect. I packed my bags and started to stand up tying my black afro curls in a bun and about to leave when a voice occurred behind me

"Natalie, the headteacher would like to see you now."

My heart dropped to my stomach.

No please not again.

I started to walk towards the stairs climbing up to the office. It was secluded from the classes and the hall which made it even more creepy. The top floor was only for the headteacher and your only sent if you have done something out of the rules, or for exams.

However, I was here for another reason. It wasn't my first time here and I don't know when it will be my last but I took in a deep breath and exhaled.

Reaching my destination, my hands started to tremble with fear though I shook it off and knocked waiting for a response.

Minutes later I heard a "Come in." I turned the sliver doorknob and walked in with my face down and my side hair covering my face like curtains and I kept my distance to the table.

"Natalie, it's bad manners to not look at your elders." He retorted. Which made me snap my head up. The office was probably the biggest room, it had a king-sized table with a flat-screen TV hanging on the walls and huge sofas that by the looks of it turn into beds and a mini-fridge with a little door that was most likely the toilet.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lived here, I scoffed to myself.

"You called me, sir?"

"Ah, yes, I looked at your grade percentage, and it's dropping. Massively." He crossed his arms and leaned back on his black chair signaling for me to answer him.

Mr. Vincent. He was ruthless and made you want to practically shit yourself, I heard the last time someone was in his office they vomited on his desk because of the nerves they had he was shouting at that poor student all because he came to school 1 minute late because of traffic.