Chapter 11

Brynn’s POV:

I needed to talk to Ronan; I gave him a few days to cool off so that he could try to understand. I just needed to get this off my chest. I quickly jogged up the steps and knocked, waiting for Dante to open the door. Instead I was greeted by Melissa.

“Oh, hi Brynn!” She said, smiling hugely.

I didn’t say anything and Ronan came to the door. He glared at me, “What the hell do you want?” He demanded.

“I—I just wanted to apologize. Can we talk?” I asked softly.

“I’m done talking. Now get out of my way. I’m taking my girlfriend on a date.”

My heart shattered, I couldn't even breathe. It felt like the world was closing in on me making it harder to breathe. Every chance I had to make things right was now ruined by Melissa. She had finally gotten what I had.

 I forced a smile on my face, “Well, congratulations.” I saw something flicker in Ronan’s eyes. Regret? Doubt it. But just like that it was gone. I turned on my heels walking back to Landon’s car and forced myself not to cry. I deserved this, I had broken his heart and this is exactly what I deserved.

“Hey! Brynn, wait!” A voice called from behind me. I half expected it to be Ronan but I knew it was too good to be true when I saw Carter coming to the car.

I discretely wiped the tears that had nearly trickled out of my eyes away and smiled, “Hi, what’s up?”

“Are you okay?” He asked softly. Carter knew I was upset, but I wasn’t going to let him know his brother was acting like a jerk.

“I’m perfectly fine. I just—I just need to go home.” I wanted to slap myself for stuttering.

“Okay,” He said looking at me, a hint of pity in his eyes. “Well, mom is having a dinner party in two weeks and she wants you and your family to come.”

“Cool, I’ll tell my mom. I can’t wait.” I lied.

“Brynn,”

“I’m fine. I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I got in the car and drove off home. Leaving Carter and his stupid pity behind.

Landon met me by the door and I was on the verge of tears again. He didn’t say anything as we walked inside past Payton, who glared at Landon. I walked into the kitchen to where our parents were sitting over a bridal magazine. And it made me angry. They couldn’t take two seconds to ask what was wrong with their daughter, but they could plan her wedding.

“Mrs. Rivers has invited us to dinner two weeks.” I said, finally making my presence known.

Tessa and my mother smiled, “That’s great news. I’ve been meaning to see her lately.” And just like that they were back to looking at the magazine.