Chapter 17

Carter’s POV:

“She hasn’t even called us! It’s like she doesn’t even care about us anymore.” Jenna pouted, as she sprawled across my bed.

“She has a lot of shit she’s going through right now. How would you feel if you had to marry a prick you didn’t love?” I asked rolling my eyes.

“True. But, she should at least talk to us. I miss her a lot and it’s weird not having her around us all the time.” Kourtney said staring out the window.

“This is annoying, why did she have to get married?” Keegan demanded throwing my baseball in the air.

“Because her dad is an asshole.” I responded.

Lately, when we all hang out all we do is talk about how Brynn is always with the Emerson’s. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with any of them…except Payton. He was a trouble maker and he didn’t know how to even treat Brynn right. She was suffering now because of his stupid actions. Then again my brother was the moron who let her go without explaining anything to her.

“So are you guys all going to that stupid business party tomorrow?” Joelle asked, her head resting on Peter’s lap. Those two were perfect for each other.

A mutual chorus of “yeah,” went around the room. All of our parent’s worked for Brynn and had to go to their annual dinner gala which was a total waste of time. We all usually hid in an office and got drunk so that we couldn’t leave and “make an embarrassment” out of our parents. Trust me; they don’t need us to do that.

I leaned back against my wall thinking of who I was going to take to this damn dinner when my phone rang.

“Brynn! Finally, what’s up?” I asked, smiling. I felt like I hadn’t talked to her in weeks.

“I need to talk to you alone, so don’t put me on speaker phone.” She said quietly.

Everyone was staring at me so I got up and left, walking down the hall way I stopped and leaned against the wall. “What did you do?”

“I decided to try this whole relationship thing with Payton.” She said quickly.

“What in God’s good name possessed you to do that?!” I shouted.

“I knew you would be mad at me. Look, I love your brother. So much that it kills me. But, I can’t sit around and wait for him to decide he wants me back. I’m moving on. I want you to accept that because your opinion matters most. You’re my absolute best friend.” She whispered.

“I am not happy with this, but I support whatever decision you make.” I muttered trying not to sound pissed.

“Thank you. I have to go; my wonderful mother wants me to try on dresses for tomorrow. I’ll see you and everyone else there right? I miss you all.”