Chapter 15

Ronan’s POV:

“Ronan, come back to bed. I know a whole lot of different things we can do to keep your mind of off working under that prick.” Melissa said, stroking up and down my arm.

I suppressed flinching, I hated the way she talked, the way she walked, and the way she thought she had control over me. I hated Payton and Brynn. I hated everyone. Yet, at the same time I was hopelessly in love with Brynn. She was epitome of perfection. Personality, brains, humor, style figure, and a lot of sarcasm. Damn, her fucking figure. You could get lost in curves, soft in all the right places.

“Babe!” Melissa’s nasal voice called out.

“What?” I responded grumpily.

“Come on, lay with me! What is your problem? I wanna have sex!”

“I’m not in the mood.” I pushed off the bed and headed downstairs. Too upset to eat, I sat at the island and stared into space. How the hell did I even open my big mouth?

*Last Night*

“Boys, go to the office now!” My mother said, her voice soft but harsh at the same time.

I watched as Brynn looked around the room, her big doe eyes looking at me. I frowned and turned away from her, kissing Melissa hard on the mouth. Out of my peripherals I could see her face fall. Good. I hope this hurt her as much as it hurt me. I pulled away frowning when I saw Payton kiss her cheek.

I stormed into the office with my father, Mr. Montgomery, and Mr. Emerson. Payton walked in a few seconds after me with a smug smile on his face and I clenched my fist. I was gonna knock his fucking lights out.

“Look, Ronan, I know you know that you’ve already known that you were to work under someone. What is your problem? Nothing is different from anything we had already planned.” Mr. Montgomery said, he ran his hand through his gray hair.

“It’s the fact that I’m working under him! I’m nineteen years old and I’ve been trained in this for basically my whole life! Why does this little piece of shit get to have it handed to him? Is it because he’s fucking your daughter?” I growled.

“I WILL NOT HAVE YOU DISRESPECT MY DAUGHTER LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN!” He shouted. My dad grabbed his shoulder as he made an advance on me. On edge I stepped forward also, only to be pulled back by Mr. Emerson.

“Let go of me.” I tried pulling out of his grasp; I was itching for a fight.

“We all need to calm down.” Payton put in, smiling smugly when the three older men agreed.

“Payton’s right. But I don’t care how long you have known my family. You will never ever disrespect them like you just did. Do you understand me?”

“Yeah. I got it.” I muttered, glaring at the wall, trying to cool my temper.

“Back to business. I need Payton to become head of my major companies because he is going to be my son-in-law; he’s the next best thing to actually being my son, and he’s the reason why I am getting out of this huge debt. But then again, you know the ropes. I need you to help me mentor Payton. Meaning, two weeks from now you and I will be teaching Payton how to run the company. Got it?” Mr. Montgomery asked.

The three men stared at me expectantly. I stared back until my dad nudged my arm. “Fine, whatever. I got it. I’ll help the douche.”

“That’s the spirit!” Mr. Montgomery said smiling, clapping my back.

I rolled my eyes. Maybe this could work out in my favor. I could make Payton look like an idiot and Mr. Montgomery would figure out that it’s really me who deserves this chance more than Payton. He’s a tool and he’s probably never had to work a day in his life. His daddy made sure of it. The three older men walked further into the office to where the library was and left me and Payton alone.