Chapter 24

Brynn’s POV:

Ronan and I had finally figured out a way to get out of this sham of an engagement and it was all Carter’s idea. Who knew that he had a brain under all that blonde hair? Well, sometimes he did. I couldn’t believe that neither Ronan nor I had thought of what we were about to do, this whole problem would have been taken care of in weeks.

“Brynn! Where the hell is my tie!?” Payton shouted from the living room.

“I’m not your maid. Find your own shit.” I shouted back, ignoring him as he slammed his fist into the wall.

I knew he wouldn’t do anything to me, I was showing a lot because I was so small and it was a constant reminder that his “heir” was inside of me. Little did he know, obviously. Payton loved to brag to everyone that he had gotten me pregnant, he showed me off often in school to his buddies and didn’t let anyone say anything about me, which was pretty nice of him.  I knew he couldn’t have anyone talking crap about his future wife.

“You’re completely useless. Are you ready to go?! We have to be at my parent’s house in ten minutes!” He shouted again.

I smiled and slowly applied my makeup, “I’m almost done. I still have to do my hair.”

“Oh, for the love of—FORGET YOUR HAIR! I told you to get ready hours ago and now you chose to get ready! You do this every time we have to go out! If you’re not dressed and ready to go in the next five minutes, I’ll carry your ass out. Pregnant or not. I am sick of your bullshit.”

I struggled to contain my laughter as he had his “Mariah Carey” diva meltdown and left my hair in a low braid. “Are you finished, drama queen?” I asked, walking out of the room a few minutes later.

Payton cursed again under his breath and stomped to the car. Why was he acting this way? Because he was meeting my Grandfather, Harold Montgomery, owner of the company Payton hopes to take over. He wanted to make a lasting impression and solidify his position as CEO for the company. Because I was the baby of the grandchildren, he spoiled me a lot and I knew he wouldn’t be upset that we were running a little late…Payton didn’t know that.

I followed  closely behind him, smiling and thanking the driver as he held the door open for us. “I don’t know why you’re even worried. You already knocked me up, I don’t know how being five minutes late is going to piss him off.”

Payton released a long exhaled breath and looked at me, “You are literally the most annoying creature I’ve ever had the misfortune of meeting. I seriously can’t stand you majority of the time.”

I blew him a kiss, “The feeling is mutual, big boy.”

By the time we got to my parents’ house, you could practically see the smoke coming out of Payton’s ears. He was muttering under his breath as we headed into the house. Before I could open the door, it swung open revealing my stoic looking grandfather. I knew it was all an act, but Payton didn’t as I noticed him gulp and wipe his sweaty palms off on his pants.

“Sir, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” He said, holding out his hand and smiling at my grandfather.

“I wish I could say the same about you.” Harold said gruffly, his face remaining stoic until he looked at me, “My darling, you look more and more like your grandmother every day.” He kissed my cheek and led me inside.

I heard Payton curse under his breath as we followed my grandfather inside. My parents glared at us as Payton and I sat down at the table.

“Nice of you to join us.” My mother said snidely.

I smiled sweetly, “It was Payton’s fault. He took too long to get ready.”

I heard Payton pull in a sharp breath as he stabbed his steak a little harder than necessary. The rest of dinner took place calmly and quietly, Ronan continued to shoot me sexy smirks that had my already raging hormones to go even crazier. I needed him and I needed to be with him and raise our baby together. This last plan was our only hope.