Chapter 14

Brynn’s POV:

“So dear, how come I haven’t seen you running around my house lately?” Mrs. Rivers asked as the cook set the food on the table.

I shrugged, avoiding the glare that I was getting from two very obnoxious people. “I’ve been busy with school. I haven’t really had time for anything.”

“The wedding must be taking up a lot of time too.”

“I’m not planning it, Mom is.”

“This must be overwhelming for you. I remember when you, Carter and Ronan used to run around the house. Just being kids. Oh! Remember how you and Carter used to pull the worst pranks on Ronan!?” She cried, happily.

I groaned. Please, not the embarrassing stories. Not with Melissa and the Emerson’s here. Only my family and the Rivers knew Ronan and I liked each other. It was bad enough sitting here with him hating me.

“Oh! And remember how you and Carter broke one of his video games and he didn’t talk to you for the longest time!”

Carter laughed, “That was freaking priceless. I’m pretty sure he cried.”

I couldn’t help but let a chuckle pass from my lips and Melissa shot me a glare. I looked at Ronan for a second and I could see part of a smirk forming at the corners of his mouth.

“Ronan had the biggest crush on you! Remember how he used to sneak into my garden and give you flowers?” My mom added.

And just like that the smirk was gone. Payton had shifted his body as if he was protecting me. Tension filled the table and I looked down at my food.

“Sorry I’m late!” Landon said, coming into the dining room.

I sighed thankfully, saved by the late asshole. He sat down next to me and didn’t once look my way. I frowned, what the hell was his problem.

“What did I miss?” He asked smiling at everyone…but me.

“We were just reminiscing about when the kids were younger. Ronan had a huge crush on Brynn and it was absolutely the cutest thing.” Mrs. Rivers said smiling at us.

“Can we not talk about that?” I asked picking out my food.

“What? I want to hear all about what you and Ronan did up until you broke his heart.” Melissa said smirking evilly at me.

“Now, now Melissa. This isn’t the time or the place for this.” Mr. Rivers said glaring disgustingly at her. I was glad someone else had the same dislike for her that I did.

“Tonight’s dinner party was not only to meet the Emerson’s but it was also to make our companies stronger. Bentley, you are the heir to running my company and Ronan you are his second hand man because of the merge. But things have changed and Bentley wants to pursue another career choice. So I am allowing him to do so because Payton is taking his spot.” My dad said.