Chapter 8

Payton’s POV:

I knew exactly what was going on as soon as she stepped off of the plane in Texas. Just because we were surrounded by my family doesn’t mean we won’t be alone at some point and I won’t pounce on the opportunity to yell at her about lying to me. I watched as she grabbed her bags and headed over to the rental car desk.

“Hi, I’m Joe, how may I help you?” Joe, the rental car guy asked. Looking her over and licking his lips.

“We need a rental car. Nothing flashy and nothing crappy looking.” She said smiling, either totally oblivious to the fact that that just happened or she was ignoring it.

“And who are we?” He asked smiling at her cleavage.

I wrapped my arm around Brynn’s waist. “That would be me. And I would appreciate it if you kept your eyes out of my fiancée’s cleavage. I don’t think your supervisor would like it very much that you were sexually harassing a customer.” I said, deathly calm for the fact that he looked like he was about to piss himself.

“No sir. I’ll get you a car right way.”  Joe scurried off and Brynn shrugged out of my grasp.

“Thank you. But no touching, I get we have to do it for your family but I don’t want to even start pretending yet. By the way, how did we meet? When did we fall in love? We need to make sure we know these things because I’m pretty sure your family is going to ask a shitload of questions.”

I smiled a little, she was quirky even though she didn’t like the fact that she was in an arranged marriage, let alone at 16.

“Okay, we met at our family’s Christmas party last year. We hated each other at first. Then out of nowhere we fell in love. You love my laugh, and my smile. You come to every one of my football games and cheer me on. I love your dimples and the way the light reflects off your hair. And I like to spend time on the beach with you hanging out and surfing. Sound good?”

“Dude, if I wasn’t already forced to marry you…I would have purposed then. That’s the most perfect explanation I’ve ever heard.” She said smiling.

“Yes! A real smile and a real compliment. I must have done good with the big man upstairs.” I said laughing.

She glared at me frowning. “Har, Har, Har. You’re so funny!”

“Well, thank you, Princess.”

“It’s about time someone realizes it.”

I laughed and the creepy Joe came back with keys, “These are the keys to your 2010 Dodge Charger SXT Sedan 4D RWD, have a nice day!”   He ran away before we could actually pay so I went to another teller and paid for the car and we left.

“So, what should I expect from your family?”

“Nothing really, all southern, really nice. They do love to cook so they’ll try to fatten you up. Even though, you do look good. I like that dress by the way.”

I really did like the dress, I’d probably like it better off of her but I wouldn’t tell her that. Plus, she was wearing the dress to make me uncomfortable, she had no idea what I had in store for her when we got to my grandparents house.

Brynn blushed, actually blushed. “Thanks. Roxie got it for me.”

“You know, I really like Roxie. She’s cool, I feel bad though that she can’t even tell your mom that she’s pregnant.”

“You don’t know what my mom would do to her if she did find out. I mean, she eventually will but not yet.”

“What would your mom do?”