Chapter 8: Chaos

The next day I woke up to groaning though it was a different kind to what I was used to.
"Got a bit of a hangover there Dixon?" I teased looking over at the redneck.

"A little bit," He confessed.

I stretched and sat up rubbing my eyes briefly. I was already decently awake aware of the chatter down the hall. It was clear at least some of the others were awake.

"You going to get up?" I questioned getting or the surprisingly comfortable sofa and grabbing my clothes.

"In a minute. What's got you so eager to get up anyway?"

"Habit," I answered simply heading out of the door to get changed.

By the time I joined the rest of the group again dressed. This time I was wearing a slightly more loose black too with a relaxed neckline but a tight-fitting bodice. I was wearing the same trousers as yesterday. I had already packed away the rest of my things uncertain of how long we would be able to stay here. If we had to leave quickly I wanted to be ready.

"Ah finally sleeping beauty emerges," Rick teased as I entered.

"Ha ha very funny. But let me ask you, Rick, how's that hangover doing?" I retorted given my lack of one.

"Terrible," he replied.

"Thought so, but I don't think you've got anything on Glenn over here," I smiled putting a hand on Glenn's shoulder. He currently had his head in his hands as T-dog gave him some eggs.

"How are you okay?" He groaned still shielding his eyes from the light.

"Tolerance mate, been drinking for far longer than you have."

I didn't have much time to sit down and eat what food was scrambled around the table before people went asking questions. Of course, they were questions I needed the answers to too but one thing I've learnt is that in this world you've got to enjoy the little things that come your way. Like too much food or wine or a bed. When I was on a case there wasn't usually anything they could stop me except from maybe lack of sleep. My work was what had kept me going now I'm not sure what it was.

The doctor led us back to the room we had first entered through.

"Give me a playback of TS 19," Jenner said pressing a few buttons on a keypad.
"Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few." 

We all congregated in various places around the room. I propped myself up on one of the white desks as Daryl came to stand next to me. We all watched on the screen. The brain was alight with all the electrical impulses flowing across the neurons and synapses.

"This was test subject 19," He explained. "A person who was bitten and infected and volunteered to have us record the process...vi scan forward to the first event.

We all watched as it went into fast forward and black started to trail up the spinal column and invade the brain blocking out the light. All the organs shut down and then the brain died.

"Scan to the second event. There's a lot of variation in the resurrection times. We have reports of it taking as little as three minutes or as long as eight hours. In the case of this patient, it was two hours, one minute, seven seconds.

Little lights began to flicker but only in the brain stem. We found that most of the brain remains dead. The true part of the person lost forever.

"You have no idea what it is do you?" Andrea questioned.

"It could be microbial, viral, parasitic, fungal-"

"-or the wrath of God," Jacqui offered.

"There is that,"