Chapter 51: Close

There wasn't much of a plan when Daryl and I returned to the others quickly moving last Merle who kicked up at soon as he saw his brother. Naturally he was also swearing at me I paid him no mind. Wasn't the first verbal assault I'd received as certainly not nearly as creative as what my parents had come up with over the years.

We were staying put. For now at least. It wasn't likely that the governor would attack us again today so all we did was make a few more cautious fortifications before retiring for the night.

Of course, we were sleeping in shifts at least two of us up at a time. Just like before I was paired with Daryl. Things still felt a little awkward but it wasn't like that was new.

"You tired?" Daryl mumbled from beside me.

"Yeah, I'm fine...just thinking," I answered staring out over the dark landscape.

We were sat just outside the prison, perched in the doorway for cover. I doubted that the governor would come back after the start he pulled. Probably too busy planning his next move or gloating over his presumed success. Whilst we did nothing.

"Bout what?" Daryl nudged looking at me through the gloom of the candlelight.

"Stuff."

"What kind a stuff?"

"Someone's nosy tonight," I half teased glancing back at the red neck briefly and noticing the slight shine from the candlelight.

"Someone cares enough to ask," He answered.

"I'm glad you do Daryl."

"So its just Daryl now?" He questioned noting the lack of my favourite name for him.

"Maybe I just need a little more persuasion before I start using that again," I replied nudging his shoulder slightly.

"Lilith Mortis, badass, cop, who's the most annoyin' person I ever met," He complained.

"Gotta make my mark somehow haven't I?" I nudged him again but this time settled for leaning again him.

"Ya also good at dodgin' questions," Daryl pointed out tentatively wrapping an arm around me.

"Now who's annoying?" I sighed heavily. "You really wanna know Dixon?"

"Yeah."

"Ready?" I didn't really give him time to reply. "T-dog, the fact that life especially now it too fucking short, the fact that even though at least half the population had been wiped out there are still so many dickheads and absolute psychopaths who still get to live whilst the decent people get to die, oh and also the abuse I suffered at the hands of my parents. You know the usual cacophony of shit," I rambled on quickly and a little careless with my volume.

"Christ." Was the only response I received. "Ya making my head hurt."

"Why do you think I'm always grumpy. I'm making my head hurt," I replied snuggling a little deeper into his side to get a little warmer.

"Not thinking about me then?" He inquired the ghost of a smile on his lips.

"No I am, just didn't want any of it to go to your head. Honestly I find it hard to get out of my head," I admitted as gust of wind blew by. Immediately I used it as an excuse to go get a blanket.

When I returned Daryl hadn't even moved simply waiting for my return. I shuffled back with the blanket wrapped around me and linked myself back down onto the hard ground next to Daryl who was snickering.

"Oh what now?"

"Nothing Grandma," He laughed.

"Rude," I huffed and scooted away from Daryl.