Chapter 50: Family

It was a little easier to keep Daryl from my mind once I got to work that day. Glenn and I had sketched a map on the floor in chalk and Carl was talking us through where he had found the others.

"Wait you say you found Tyreese's lot here?" I questioned brows furrowed.

"Yeah..."

"We secured this," Glenn pointed out.

"He said he came through here." Carl pointed to the front of the prison then traced a path through the chalked diagram.

"That means there's another breach," Glenn sighed heavily and I bit back the sarcastic comment that would help nothing.

"The whole front of the prison isn't secure. If walkers just strolled in, then it's gonna be cake for a group of armed men."

"Glenn's right. If we're going to stay here. It needs to be as much of a fortress as we can make it," I agreed.

"Why are we even so sure he's gonna attack? Maybe you scared him off," Beth spoke up.

As much as I would love for Beth to be correct I knew that was nothing but naivety. We shot up his home to take back our own. We're a threat and he knows it. I also know if someone shot up the prison I'd be knocking on their door with as much artillery as I could carry.

"He had heads full of fish tanks."

Not exactly where I thought this would go but I'm not surprised.

"Walkers and Humans," Michonne continued. "Trophies. He's coming."

"We should hit him now." My eyes snapped back to Glenn. He looked like a man out for revenge and to be honest I couldn't blame him. "We sneak back in and put a bullet in his head."

"We're not assassins," Carol pointed out. I bit my lip as I thought about what Glenn was planning whilst he talked to Michonne convincing her to help.

"He didn't know you were coming last time...and look what happened," Hershel cut through Glenn's mild tirade. "You were almost killed. Daryl and Lilith were captured. And you and Maggie were almost executed." He was the voice of reason as always but Glenn wasn't listening.

"You can't stop me."

"Rick would never allow this," Hershel pointed out.

"Yeah well I don't think he's in any position to make that choice," Glenn hissed and I finally rose from the ground.

Glenn and Hershel continued to argue and I silently decided I would go and keep watch outside and make some fortifications where I could. I felt more and more like my morals were being stretched.

Over and over again I would use the excuse of it's the fucking apocalypse you're going to have to do stuff that you would. have never done whilst you were an agent. But there were only so many times you could use that excuse and I had already used it way too much.

But I needed to protect my family or what was left of it... No matter how hard I tried I still manage to let people slip away.

I didn't want us losing ourselves more than we already had...but that wouldn't matter much if we were dead.

Despite the circumstances being outside in the prison helped me relax a little. If I looked over select parts it was like diving back into the past. No walkers, no running, no hiding, no loss, no grief.

Glenn and Hershel arguing once more, as Glenn headed to the car, brought me back to reality. I was done feeling sorry for myself. We all have shit to deal with and we keep going and we stay together.