Chapter 53: Getting along

I let out a long breath after Rick left the room. Andrea looked a little hopeless and left the room.

"Well that was entirely unproductive," I muttered getting up from my seat and tying my hair up.

Andrea scowled at me and walked out in a huff. I mean, to an extent I could understand her frustration but why she would still defend the bastard I don't know.

I went back to my little chalk filled room trying to come up with any more ideas. But no new idea presenter themselves so, as any sane person does I resulted to angrily throwing chalk at the wall enjoying the satisfying sound as it shattered against the ragged stone.

"What the hell you doin' in here?"

"Trying to be useful and I seem to be failing," I laughed sadly staring at the mess I had made. "I'm stuck in this perpetual loop. I despise just sitting around waiting for his inevitable attack but this is the strongest place to defend. But then it could all be over so quickly if we just went and felt with him ourselves! But that would mean compromising the safety of everyone we leave behind and the only person's safety I'm willing to compromise is my own and now I'm just in a never-ending infuriating loop and I'm no closer to coming up with a solution!" I yelled slamming my fist into the wall.

"Woah, hey, enough!" Daryl grabbed my hand. "Breaking ya hand ain't gonna help."

"Sorry, overreacted."

"Ya think! God, how many times do we have ta tell you you're not alone. Dumbass." Daryl scooped a piece of chalk off the floor and examined what I had done. "We're gonna be okay we've made it this far.

I smiled softly.
"You truly are my angel."

"Shut up."

"Mmm, nope." I wrapped my hands around his middle and got onto my toes so I could rest my chin on his shoulder. "I thought you knew by now that unless we're in absolute peril I don't take orders from anyone. And you telling me to shut up will only make me talk more."

Daryl snorted.
"Man your just about the weirdest girlfriend I could have."

I blushed and I felt Daryl tense a little once he'd realised what he had said. We hadn't exactly had time for that talk yet though it seemed it wasn't necessary.

"Ooo girlfriend huh?" Merle's voice was unexpected.

"Yes, Merle. Your little brother has a girlfriend which is one more than you've ever had I'm sure," I replied with a grin and I saw Daryl smiling too.

"I've had girlfriends."

"Fuck buddies don't count Merle."

"Hey, little lady I didn't come here to be insulted you know," Merle declared scowling slightly as he leaned against the door.

"Well, then why are you here? And I'm not little and not much of a lady either," I replied leaning against Daryl.

"Came here to thank ya." The words were the quietest I'd ever heard the guy speak.

"I'm sorry what was that?" I spoke partly out of disbelief and partly because I couldn't resist making Merle more uncomfortable.

He just looked at me with the same unimpressed and grumpy look he usually wore for a while before he sighed and finally spoke.

"Wanted to thank ya. Both a ya, for having my back. I know I'm not exactly loved round er." He said half looking at the floor. Daryl seemed as awkward as his brother and I just laughed.

"Okay so Merle is definitely more of an arsehole but you two are like two peas in a pod when it comes to anything close to do with actual feelings. You're both so awkward," I chuckled looking between the two brothers who both smiled just a little.

"Maybe you two aren't as grumpy as you appear," I teased. "Tell you what though. You, Merle Dixon, might actually be useful. You know the governor's tactics and how he reacts. Wanna give us a hand?" I spoke surprisingly kindly though I'm still not sure if the man deserves it yet.

"Sure thing gorgeous." And now we're back to our regular Merle.

"Get your own girl man," Daryl dragged me a little further for his brother.

I laughed lightly and kissed Daryl's cheek.
"Don't worry Angel, I'm not going anywhere."

Between the three of us we came up with a few more things for the weird chalk wall but more importantly Daryl and I learnt a little more about the governor. Surprisingly we actually shared a few stories and even a few jokes. For once I could understand why Daryl still cared about his brother. Though that still couldn't excuse some of the things he's done.

But hearing about nicer times and a baby Daryl was helping just a little.

"I'm telling ya he wouldn't stay put. He climbed up the cabinets, dresser, me, Mom," Merle listed as Daryl looked a little embarrassed. "Daryl was a little thief too once he stole-"

"Enough Merle. Or imma tell Lilith about the time I came home early from school and-"

I don't think I've ever seen Merle move so fast to clamp his hand over his brother's mouth. It was nice to see them actually getting along but I couldn't help the pain I felt in my chest.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just...Noah," I answered quietly.

"You had a brother too?" Merle seemed genuinely sympathetic.

"He died before the world went to shit. He was the only family I had until the group."

"Um Lilith sweetheart, can I talk to you for a minute?" Carol asked from the doorway.

"You two, place nice, alright?" I threw over my shoulder to the Dixon brothers.

"You doing okay?" Carol asked kindly. She was so sweet yet so strong I always admired that. To anyone who didn't know her as we did wouldn't know what she was truly capable of. Andrea learnt that when she spoke with Carol a little earlier; Daryl and I had overheard the conversation.

"I'm okay as I can be right now. How are you a Lil ass-kicker doing?" I asked noting the sleeping baby in her arms.

"You do know she has a name now right?" Carol laughed.

"Of course I do, but nothing is as cool as Lil ass-kicker. Though I doubt this precious girls' name was what you wanted to talk to me about." I followed Carol down the stair and noticed Daryl and Merle leaving the cell.

"I'm just checking in. Am I not allowed to do that?" Carol gently nudged my shoulder.

"No you are, I'm just still not used to people doing that. But are you sure it has nothing to do with the extra redneck?" I noticed the slight frown that settled on her features.

"Well..."

"Don't worry. I'm keeping an eye on him but for now, I really do think he wants to help. In his own really strange Merle Dixon way."

We made our way outside into the light. The faint moans and groans of walkers fluttered through the air from all directions. The yard still looked like some strange walker safari but for now, they were an extra layer of protection.

Everyone had come outside it seemed to keep watch and see Andrea off.

"Hey Andrea," I called and logged over to here and Rick.

"What do you want now Lilith?"

Okay, so I suppose I did deserve that pissed off tone a little.

"Look, I'm not going to apologise. I still meant what I said though perhaps I could've been a little more polite about it. So I'm sorry for that at least. But I just wanted to say that despite everything I'm glad you're still alive and it was nice to see you again," I admitted.

"Thanks..." She eyed me with a slightly suspicious glance but it didn't last long when she realised I was being genuine. "It's nice to see you again too." A small smile settled on her face before she got in the car.

"You finally forgiven her for shooting me?" Daryl whispered as he came to stand beside me.

"Perhaps, she was always kind to the others anyway. However, anyone else that decides to shoot at any one of us will never come off as lightly."