Chapter 13: Well Walker

The next day things seemed calmer. Daryl and the others joined us and we set up camp in the grassland near the house. I had hope for this place. It seemed safe and secure for now.

I thought this was the best time to give Daryl those arrows I picked up in the car pile.

"Hey, Angel!" I called and grinned when he turned around. "You better just accept it, Daryl, it's your new nickname."

"Fine," He mumbled.

"What was that?" I asked actually surprised stopping my walk as I finally reached him.

"Just don't use it in front of them," he added. I smiled in triumph then pulled out the arrows from behind my back.

"I do actually have something for you," I said handing him the arrows.

"Thanks, Lilith," he smiled kindly sticking the arrows with his others.

"Now, do you forgive me for the CDC incident?"

He laughed at my question.
"Woman I forgave ya days ago. Shoulda kept it up if I knew you would start giving me things," he chuckled. I punched him in the arm.

"You're an absolute git you know. But you're a nice git so stay safe," I reminded knowing he was headed off to look for Sophia.

"Ya gonna give me another kiss before I leave?" He asked teasingly.

"Maybe if you actually asked nicely," I said making to head back towards the house.

"Fine. Please,"

"You know Dixon if I didn't know any better I'd say I was turning you soft." I teased.

"Ya ain't turning me soft. You're just the person who's the least of a bitch to me outa everyone here. Only one who seems like they actually give a damn." He said not quite looking at me.

I smiled at him but didn't push anymore. I appreciate what he said and knew it wasn't usual for him. I kissed his cheek quickly.

"Stay safe. And you better not get hurt or die or ill beat you arse. Okay, Angel?"

"Sure, whatever," he dismissed perhaps a little embarrassed about what he said before.

I headed back to the house. Attempting to avoid Rick and Shane for now. I saw they'd been collecting peoples guns and I wasn't ready to let someone else take mine.

I had heard Carl had been up a little so I thought I'd go check on him for a little while. I walked back up to the neatly painted home and pushed open the door carefully and headed straight for Carl's room making sure to stay out of everyone's way.

"Hey," I heard Carl quietly mutter as I entered the room.

"Hey bud how are you feeling?" I asked settling myself down in the seat beside him.

"Could be better," he said causing me to laugh a little.

"Makes sense. Getting shot isn't exactly a bundle of laughs." Something about what I said made Carl's eyes light up.

"You've been shot too?"

That made sense.

"Yeah too many times for my liking," I said and he looked at me expectantly so I continued.

"Here," I tugged at the collar of my shirt revealing the bullet scar in my collar bone. "This was the first time. Accidently annoyed the suspect too much. And then there's the time I got shot with a shotgun." I carefully pulled up the side of my shirt to reveal the beginnings of the sea of almost spotted scars that covered some of my lower abdomen. Then I noticed Lori in the doorway trying to get my attention. "But that is a story for another time," I said. "Get some rest. I'm sure your mum will come check on you in a little while. And tell ya what I actually have a little surprise for you later." I smiled heading out of the room.

"A surprise," Lori asked me with a questioning look.

"I found some sweets earlier. I've been waiting for the best time to give him some. I was planning on giving them to him and Sophia once we found her but I'm sure he deserves some now,"

Lori gave out a laugh of surprise.

"Well, I hope I get some too."

"Definitely. Now, what is it you need?"

She led me to the well where the rest of the group were gathered. I could hear the faint growling of a walker.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me. In the bloody well, really?" I sighed.

"Hey, at least you're not going down with it." Glenn challenged gesturing to the rope.

"You're doing what now?" I asked thinking it was completely nuts.

"We've got no choice. It needs live bait and Glenn's the guy for the job." Andrea reasoned.

I eyed the others curiously for a moment before walking over and grabbing ahold of the thick bristly rope. We began to lower him inch by inch carefully and calmly.

It did not last long.

The pump used as an anchor tore itself free of its wooden home and went surging forwards sending all of us to the ground in a pile of shouts. T-dog grabbed the thing and we all clung on grappling with the rope pulling Glenn up as quickly as possible as he screamed at us to do it faster.

I raced to the side of the well and yanked Glenn up onto the ground.

"Bloody hell Glenn, are you okay?" I was checking him for scratches before he grabbed my hands his chest heaving.

"I'm fine," he assured.

"Good," I helped him up off the dirty ground that was so dry it seemed like dust.

"Back to the drawing board, I suppose," I huffed.

"Says you." Glenn grinned handing Dale the other rope which was now tight and moving.

I laughed lightly. Despite almost being eaten he managed to get the job done.

We all got ready again all lined up gripping the rope tightly. I was near the back leaning with all my weight pulling on Shane's orders.

"Keep pulling nearly there!"

Suddenly it felt heavier. The rope refused to budge with a sudden lurch backwards from a lack of weight I realised what had happened. The water sodden corpse had split in two and gazing over the side of the well I saw that the second half had fallen straight back in.

I kicked the corpse out of frustration before T-dog bashed its head in completely. As I walked away I recalled the first time I met Daryl and what he'd done.

Looks like despite my best interests Daryl Dixon was beginning to rub off on me.

Fuck.