Chapter 24: Things worth living for

Rick and Shane had left early the next day heading out to scout a place where they could ditch Randall safely but also far enough away to not know how to get back to the farm.

I was just milling about camp helping with odds and ends between checking Daryl.

"Hey, Lilith. You mind keeping watch for a little bit?" Andrea called across the field jogging in my direction.

"Sure, why?" I questioned taking the rifle from her hands.

"Lori asked me to find Maggie for her, beyond that I don't know," she shrugged heading off without saying any more on the matter.

I sighed heading for the RV. After climbing up the ladder I shrugged off the red flannel shirt I wore loosely over the black tank top Glenn had given me.

Passing across the top of the RV with the rifle slung over my shoulder, I began to fiddle with my locket absentmindedly. Eventually, I settled on the edge of the large vehicle, legs dangling over the side as I opened up the locket.

Looking at the sixteen-year-old version of myself making a dorky face and she wrapped Noah in a chokehold whilst he made an overdramatic panicked face, never failed to make me smile. Most of the photos we had taken that day on the pier had been stupid when we had the chance to have a laugh we always took it there wasn't always many for me and Noah.

"You want me to take over for a little bit?" The voice made me jump slightly. Popping the locket closed I turned around to see Dale behind me.

"Yeah, thanks Dale," I smiled handing him the rifle. I was just about to climb down when Dale spoke up again.

"I need to take that one too," He said giving me a little disapproving look, his eyes trailing down to the gun still sat at my waist. "You should have surrendered that ages ago." He spoke to me like a parent.

"No offence Dale, but I'm not handing over my weapon. I wasn't in the practice of leaving myself unarmed before the end of the world and I don't plan on starting now." I smiled kindly at the man who again looked at me with disappointment written across his face as he shook his head.

I didn't wait for any reply nor was I going to pay attention to one so I climbed back down the ladder which had been warmed by the glaring sun and headed back to the house.

Once I had stepped into the blissful shade of the Greene home I almost regretted it. I could hear Maggie and Beth yelling at each other through another room as I crossed the house to the kitchen to get a drink of water.

"Hey, Lori anything else need doing? I helped Carol with all the laundry and now I've got no clue what to do," I said walking past Andrea to grab a glass from a cupboard. I was still not used to how clean things were here. I had grown accustomed to the sordid filth of the apocalypse but this was like returning to brighter times.

Before Lori could reply the yelling grew louder from the other room.
"What've I missed," I asked filling the glass and then taking a large gulp of the refreshing liquid.

"Beth tried to kill herself. I took the knife before she could try but she wants to." Lori frowned and I mirrored the expression. The yelling persisted in tbe background but it was all muffled by the wall separating us.

"She's lost so much so quickly far too young. I can only imagine how lost she feels," I sighed taking another sip from my glass and leaning against the counter as Lori began to wash up the plates.

"This could've been handled better," Andrea muttered to no one in particular.

"How so?"

"You shouldn't have taken the knife away," She stated causing Lori to drop what she was cleaning. I stared at Andrea in confusion.

"Excuse me?" Lori uttered.

"You were wrong. Just like Dale was taking my gun. It wasn't your choice to make. She had to choose to live on her own. She has to find her own reasons."

"You want me to tie a noose for her?" Lori quipped.

"Beth can choose her own way find her own reasons to live or maybe not find any at all but she can only do that if she's given time. Time Lori has now given her." I pointed out.

"She only has so many choices in front of her and she believes the best one is suicide." Andrea reasoned.

I kept listening in the background making myself busy with the dishes, drying them up and putting them away as Lori and Andrea continued to argue.

"I contribute, I help keep this place safe," Andrea argued finally moving from her position.

"Yeah by shooting a member of our group," I scoffed.

"The men can handle this on their own," Lori said decisively throwing me a towel which I out away while rolling my eyes at what Lori said. It was not up to the men to protect the women in this world everyone needs to be ready to protect themselves.

"I'm sorry what would you have me do?" She questioned for some reason not quite realising that there was more than just looking out for walkers to do.

"Oh, there's plenty for you to do. At least Lilith actually helps out she protects this camp far better than you do and still helps with the laundry." Lori glared at Andrea and I took this as my cue to leave. Heading back out the door I smiled as the breeze hit my face and blew my brown hair. I settled down on the steps grateful for the peace. I had never been one for dealing with arguments unless I had to. When it was to do with solving a crime or the future of our group I'll be there arguing my case and defending who I feel I need to. Petty squabbles between women however I couldn't care less. Though I saw where both were coming from I wasn't going to be dragged into that mess.

Andrea marched past me a few moments later clearly still a little annoyed.

"Lilith! Lilith get in here!" Lori cried voice filled with panic. I leapt up and rushed back inside. I came face to face with Beth and Maggie and quickly took note of the blood pouring from the younger blonde girl's wrist.

"Lori can you grab me a cloth please, Maggie can you get the first aid stuff please," I asked carefully taking the young girl from her sister with a reassuring smile.

I sat her down on the bed still putting pressure on her wrist with one hand and brushing some hair out of her face with the other.

"I'm sorry," She cried to Maggie as she came back with Lori.

"It's okay," Maggie smiled sadly giving her sister a hug as I got to cleaning the cut and pressing a bandage over her wrist.

"She'll be fine Maggie," I assured and with this she and Lori left the room no doubt to find Andrea who they had told me had been left to watch Beth.

"You're lucky it wasn't that deep. Otherwise, we would not be having this conversation," I noted threading the needle.

"I...I thought...I thought it was for the best but as soon as I...did it. I wished I hadn't." She stuttered as I handed her some pain meds.

"But you know now. You know you're not ready to give up. There's more to your life than just your own Beth. If you died then any memories you have with your mother and your family end with you. Those we've lost live on in the memory of those left behind. It's our job to keep them alive for as long as we can."